VMware Cloud Community
wgerrish82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Storage Perfomance issue

Hi everyone,

Wondering if uou can help me? My setup is as follows - 4 x Hp BL360c blades with ESX 3.5 (no update as of yet), a HP MSA1510i with the latest firmware (2.00.803) which is supported by HP using only the single conctroller configuration, i have 8 X 300Gb 15K disks 4 of them are in a RAID 10 config and the other 4 are in a RAID 5 config, and the iscsi network is totally on it own vlan with no other traffic on it and a dedicated nic through ESX.

Now what seems to be happening this that when i copy a large file (something like 2Gb) for the first time across the iscsi network it seems like it has delay every second or so (see attched file perfmon1 and the avg. disk queue length and it spiking and then the delay) which is seriously causing a perfomance issue. But the strange thing is that once the large file is copied across for the first time i can then re-copy that file to any location from 1 VM to another and it copy so much faster (see attached file perfmon2). now i copy a large file for the first time from the RAID 5 to the RAID 10 and then do vise versa and it'll still do the same with the strange delayed copy. I've attached a copy of screen shots of the perfomance monitor when the 2 copies are happening. have a look and see what you think

If i've missed anything or if you wold like some more information please let me know

thanks

Will

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

Moved to the performance forum.

NOTE: Your attachments didn't attach Smiley Sad

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers[/url]

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos