VMware Cloud Community
juanlopez69
Contributor
Contributor

Slow performance in VDI + Flash Player

I was testing running virtual desktops, everything was fine running in an office environment untill I asked my son to test it, he went to miniclip.com and he started to complain about the system performance when trying to run flash games. Because of that I started testing a lot on remote adobe flash applications and performance was the same.

I'm running VMWare Server 2.0, but a friend of mine running ESX 3.5 had the same problem. Do we have a workaround for that behavior? I tried to find something at the Internet but I had no luck.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

Flash performance tends to be a problem with all VDI products with no easy solution.

0 Kudos
juanlopez69
Contributor
Contributor

Not problem it isn't easy, is there a way to solve it?

0 Kudos
wayneoakley99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

try to avoid using RDP, the protocol is terribly in-efficient.

i am working with a customer on just this problem and we have identified the PanoLogic Pano Terminal as one option. it is not a thin client as it has no operating system, it is more or less and extention of a KVM/usb which talks a kind of driver code over tcp/ip and avoids RDP entirely and as such the performance of flash is quite acceptable. the only problem is that it only works in a vdi environment and you must use there VM appliance which acts rather like a broker in setting up the connections and such.

the other choice, that i have yet to try out, is Provision Networks VDI Broker that uses an efficient form of RDP that looks to work quite well. I do not have details but the enhanced protocol is only available when you buy their Connection Broker software.

mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

As you can see there aren't a lot of good solutions out there - it is

one of the issues that VDI vendors are working on solving.

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 1:20 AM, wayneoakley99

0 Kudos
Rodos
Expert
Expert

Also think through your timeframes and the vendors roadmaps. If flash multimedia gets solved in general in 4 months time say, would you make a different decision. You are going to be dealing with the software and result for a few years to come. Eventually we need to put a line in the sand and decide. But I would not be choosing a broker today based on flash support for MM, that would be very short sighted. As always, it depends, I don't know your balance of priorities..

Rodos

Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
0 Kudos
AdamG53
Contributor
Contributor

Flash performance is indeed an issue in VDI, and is related to the limitations of RDP. I suggest you look at Ericom Blaze, a software product that accelerates and compresses standard Microsoft RDP. Blaze accelerates RDP performance by as much as 10-25 times, and helps deliver higher frame rates and reduce screen freezes and choppiness.

Ericom Blaze works with any standard RDP host, including VDI, Terminal Servers and remote physical machines.

You can read more about Blaze at:

Or view a video demo at:

Adam

Ericom

0 Kudos