VMware Cloud Community
eefranzen
Contributor
Contributor

Slow Throughput while running on Snap

I'll start by saying, yes I know that VMware states that VMs will run slower while running on a snapshot, but it seems that what I'm seeing is much worse than just a little slower.

The test that I perform is to create a fresh install of Windows 2012 R2 on a 2 vCPU 4GBs RAM VM. I do nothing but install IOMeter on this VM and then run test using 100% Random Writes. Here are the results of the test I'm getting:

If I use a NetApp SAN disk (thick or thin), I get 600-700MBps throughput, but if I take a snapshot of this VM, the IO drops to around 10MBps.

If I use a SSD local disk, I get around 150MBps throughput, but drops to around 50MBps when I add take a snapshot.

My IOMeter test is using a10GB Disk, 32 threads, 100% Random 64K Writes. I do not see any disk latency issues when the tests are running.

I've read a few other threads regarding this, but no real resolution nor results from other members trying this test on their systems.

Anyone else have experience with Snapshot affecting performance on this scale?

0 Kudos
0 Replies