VMware Cloud Community
buddylott
Contributor
Contributor

)Slow Performace with VMWS 6.5.2 & Vista 64x

I have a Vista x64 notebook (with an Intel DUO CPU @ 2.66ghz) I am using to run a XPPro VM.

I have a development enviroment compiling a lot of code in the VM. The code is in a Shared Folder so I can get access via the Host and Guest. Is 3 times slower normal?

It seems like any file intensive task (like compiling code) takes about 3 times long to accomplish in the guest than it does in the host.

I have made sure the Virus scanners are set correctly to ignore what needs to be ignored.

I have turned off memory trending.

I have tried both IDE and SCSI HD for the guest OS.

I tried running the VM on a External USB hard drive.

I would expect the VM to as fast as the host, but I epxected it to run closer.

I have configured to VM to run at "above normal" priority when it has the focus.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
prakashraj
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Is VMware tools installed in guest ?

You cannot expect the same speed as host since VM is running on host

Performance depends on host configuration(cpu ,memory ,softwares services etc...)

Prakash

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
buddylott
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. The tools are installed.

I don't expect the same speed, I just expected it be a lot better than it is.

I could understand the difference if I were using the Virtual Harddisk. I would think a shared folder would be faster than what I am experiencing..

0 Kudos
prakashraj
Expert
Expert

Hi,

In which way you are accessing the share folder from host to guest?

Prakash

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
buddylott
Contributor
Contributor

Using the Folder Sharing feature of the VMWare Workstation.

The "Map as network driver" is unchecked.

I have Mapped the driver in the VM as driver letter U..

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

If you want any kind of robustness or speed, use standard Windows File Sharing instead of the VMware Shared Folders feature... that is intended as a quick-and-dirty method of sharing files.

buddylott
Contributor
Contributor

I have blinked too many times and tried too many things, but I never saw a significant improvement while trying the different ways of getting to the host files. I geuss the speed is just what it is.

0 Kudos
buddylott
Contributor
Contributor

BTW. I have since moved to Windows7 64 bit and still have the same issue.

0 Kudos