VMware Cloud Community
severt
Contributor
Contributor

Server 2008 R2 very slow while transferring data from USB drive

I have a terminal server 2008 R2 with 15 concurrent users.

When I was copying data from the USB drive to a network share, the system totally slowed down for 90% and all users complained about it.

The file transfer from USB to the network was only 6 mb/s or so.

But also the print spooler crashed and no one was able to print.

I could restart the print spooler, but within a few minutes it crashed again.

This has nothing to do with drivers or so because this problem only occurs when transferring data from USB.

After the file transfer was completed the system was quick again, but still unstable.

The print spooler was still messing around, and a reboot from the server was necessary to get it running again.

System Specs:

HP DL380 G7

VM: 4 cores

VM: 24 GB. Ram.

Raid10 config with HP enterprise 6g hdd's.

Write back cache is enabled

So the hardware is top notch.

Someone an idea how to deal with this situation?

Thank you,
Dennis

0 Kudos
2 Replies
cmacmillan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Not all USB is created equal. I would look at the interrupt level processing for the platform - especially what's tied to the USB controller and potential "polite" sharing. You may want to revisit BIOS's default Ira allocation if you want to use the host's port(s). Check the USB mode in BIOS while you're at it. I'd use USB over Ethernet for that kind of use case, especially where TS is concerned.

Collin C. MacMillan, VCP4/VCP5 VCAP-DCD4 Cisco CCNA/CCNP, Nexenta CNE VMware vExpert 2010-2012 SOLORI - Solution Oriented, LLC http://blog.solori.net If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
severt
Contributor
Contributor

Please note that when I transfer data from the USB disk to my SBS 2011 server I have no performance issues at all.

I did an Exchange "ImportMailboxRequest" which worked perfectly.

So I added the USB host and HDD to svr01 (SBS 2011)

Shared the USB device and accessed it from svr02 (The SBS 2008 R2 Terminal Server).

I have no problems with the slow data transfer, but I do care when the TRM server gets instable, gets a crashing print spooler and 15 people at my desk because of that...

0 Kudos