VMware Cloud Community
heynem
Contributor
Contributor

Performance on Terminal Server

Hi everybody,

I have set up a Terminals Server (W2003) on a ESX 3.0 machine. On the same Machine are running two more W3k srevers

with very low CPU / RAM usage. On the Termnal Srever are 10 User working with Navision & Office 2007 & Acrobat.... Unfortunaly

the system ist extremly slow, the CPU Usage is sometimes nearly 95% Smiley Sad an nobody is able to work. To open a PDF Doc it takes "minutes".....

This is what I am using: Intel Xeon 2.4GHz / 2xCPU 2.392GHZ - 1xNIC with 100Mbit - RAM 6.0GB

In my belief, the first thing shoul be to use a Gigabyte NIC instead of 100Mbit. But does effect the CPU usage which is very poor ???

Is it possible, that I am using the wrong machine for this ??

All Tips and Information to build a working Terminal Server are very wellcome Smiley Happy

Thank you very much in advance

Michael

0 Kudos
2 Replies
O_o
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are many things that can make performance slow regarding TS on VMware, for example using 2vCPU instead of 1 ...

My suggestion is reading a "best practice" for Citrix on ESX, although totally different product, it might give you some insights in the things you should take into consideration when using virtual Terminal Servers.

Some links to get you started:

Link_1

Link_2

Link_3

Further I suggest using a search engine and look for "Terminal Server Performance Tuning"

Hope this helps somewhat

0 Kudos
drummonds
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

For terminal services workloads you can improve performance on ESX 3.0 with a application-specific performance improvement. Add the following line to your .vmx file and reboot the VM:

workload="TerminalServices"

This setting works because terminal services is MMU-intensive. You will also see performance gains by upgrading to ESX 3.5 and using a CPU with MMU capabilities (such as AMD's Opterons codenamed Barcelona and Shanghai.) The above setting does nothing for ESX 3.5,BTW.

Scott

More information on my blog and on Twitter: http://vpivot.com http://twitter.com/drummonds
0 Kudos