VMware Cloud Community
mdix
Contributor
Contributor

Performance Thresholds for ESXTOP counters

I noticed that there is quite a lot of general information on esxtop counters, e.g. in http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-3930.

But there is little information on concrete thresholds that are indicators for bad performance when exceeded (such as: a "% ready" counter for a VM above 10% indicates an over-utilized CPU".). So, I would like to know not only what counters are of interest, but also their values that should not be exceeded.

Particularly I am missing thresholds for RAM and Network:

Regarding RAM Performance I read that the counters "Swap Used Mbytes" by the host, or "Swapped Mbytes" by a single VM, indicate memory swapping. My question is: what is a reasonable threshold for these counters? Memory Swapping is, of course, never good for performance. Does that imply that the recommended threshold for these counters is zero, or is there a recommended threshold above zero is still accetable?

Regarding Network Performance this question is similar to above: For network performance I read that "% Outbound Packets Dropped" and "% Received Packets Dropped" indicates an overworked physical NIC. Does that imply that the recommended threshold for these counters is zero, or is there a recommended threshold above zero that is still accetable?

Are there any other good thresholds, also for CPU and Disk, that can be recommended and shared here in the forum?

0 Kudos
0 Replies