VMware Cloud Community
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Performance Metric GAVG is too high

Dear team

one of my VM performing very slow then i have found the datastore where it's vmdk located the GAVG/cmd latency is 600 + , (as suggested by duncan epping the threshold limit is 27), i just want to know if GAVG threshold metric exceed to 600+ then what will be the impact..... (DAVG 500 and KAVG 30+)
need to export only GAVG/cmd metric with the help of esxtop command in batch mode , how to do that ?????.

Regards

Mr Vmware

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It might, but you should check with your array vendor if they support RR.

Also, 600ms response times indicate far more than just path loading problems - you are probably driving to much IO to the disks - you need to check on that.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Note: Discussion successfully moved from Enterprise Strategy & Planning to Performance & VMmark

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
maishsk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The impact will be that the guest operating system will not respond because your disks are not providing enough throughput.

Fiber / iSCSI?

Maish

Maish Saidel-Keesing • @maishsk • http://technodrone.blogspot.com • VMTN Moderator • vExpert • Co-author of VMware vSphere Design
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

u mean to say this problem is related to device/LUN, so how we can resolve the same.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

High GAVG almost always comes from a high DAVG, which means that your storage is responding VERY slowly.  You need ot contact your storage administrtor or tech support to find out why its responding so slowly - usually it means you are overloading it.

MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

currently  the path selection policy is selected as MRU, if we change to Round Robin will it help to balance the load????

regards

Mr Vmware

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It might, but you should check with your array vendor if they support RR.

Also, 600ms response times indicate far more than just path loading problems - you are probably driving to much IO to the disks - you need to check on that.

0 Kudos
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks friends,

just want to know how to export only GAVG metrics data???

regards

Mr Vmware

0 Kudos
maishsk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Here you go.

Using Batch Mode

Maish

VMTN Moderator | vExpert

Author of VMware vSphere Design

@maishsk | My Blog

Maish Saidel-Keesing • @maishsk • http://technodrone.blogspot.com • VMTN Moderator • vExpert • Co-author of VMware vSphere Design
0 Kudos