Storage

View Only
  • 1.  Performance Metric GAVG is too high

Posted Jul 10, 2012 01:15 PM

Dear team

one of my VM performing very slow then i have found the datastore where it's vmdk located the GAVG/cmd latency is 600 + , (as suggested by duncan epping the threshold limit is 27), i just want to know if GAVG threshold metric exceed to 600+ then what will be the impact..... (DAVG 500 and KAVG 30+)
    need to export only GAVG/cmd metric with the help of esxtop command in batch mode , how to do that ?????.

Regards

Mr Vmware

• 2.  RE: Performance Metric GAVG is too high

Posted Jul 10, 2012 01:35 PM

Note: Discussion successfully moved from Enterprise Strategy & Planning to Performance & VMmark

• 3.  RE: Performance Metric GAVG is too high

Posted Jul 10, 2012 02:12 PM

The impact will be that the guest operating system will not respond because your disks are not providing enough throughput.

Fiber / iSCSI?

Maish

• 4.  RE: Performance Metric GAVG is too high

Posted Jul 10, 2012 04:07 PM

u mean to say this problem is related to device/LUN, so how we can resolve the same.

• 5.  RE: Performance Metric GAVG is too high

Posted Jul 10, 2012 05:57 PM

High GAVG almost always comes from a high DAVG, which means that your storage is responding VERY slowly.  You need ot contact your storage administrtor or tech support to find out why its responding so slowly - usually it means you are overloading it.

• 6.  RE: Performance Metric GAVG is too high

Posted Jul 11, 2012 09:55 AM

currently  the path selection policy is selected as MRU, if we change to Round Robin will it help to balance the load????

regards

Mr Vmware

• 7.  RE: Performance Metric GAVG is too high
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 11, 2012 07:37 PM

It might, but you should check with your array vendor if they support RR.

Also, 600ms response times indicate far more than just path loading problems - you are probably driving to much IO to the disks - you need to check on that.

• 8.  RE: Performance Metric GAVG is too high

Posted Jul 12, 2012 11:26 AM

Thanks friends,

just want to know how to export only GAVG metrics data???

regards

Mr Vmware

• 9.  RE: Performance Metric GAVG is too high

Posted Jul 12, 2012 11:32 AM

Here you go.

Using Batch Mode

Maish

VMTN Moderator | vExpert

Author of VMware vSphere Design

@maishsk | My Blog