VMware Cloud Community
Qros77
Contributor
Contributor

Oracle 9.2 and ESX 3.0.1 - performace problem.

Hello,

I'm new in this forum and VMWare, so I have small problem.

We have virtual machine in ESX 3.0.1 with Oracle 9.2, but this machine have failure - motherboard, I move this machine to new server (VMotion) but in this new server this machine working slow. Transactions takes lots of time for exaple on old server something takes 1 hour but in new server 2 hours.New server have the same hardware one different - have 16 GB of memory but old have 12 GB. In old ESX server old VMWare administrator do something on ESX level that Oracle works better, but now this administrator leave our company without any documentation, so I have a problem. Please give any directions what I may to do. I read some documents in VMWare, VROOM blog, etc. call to support (they give me info about turning off affinity - little help now time is 1:45 h). So if You have any directions, please help me.

Many thanks for any help

Thanks and best regards

Tomasz Kurowski

Thanks and best regards Tomasz Kurowski
0 Kudos
3 Replies
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

Some questions - Server Operating system? How many virtual machines on the server?

What type of operations is taking so long? What type of storage?

What type of server?

Have you checked that the host server is seeing the storage properly?

Note - you probalby won't get help from Oracle - they stopped supporting Oracle 9 July 31, 2007.

0 Kudos
Qros77
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I'm sorry

Server OS: Windows 2003 Ent. ed

3 Virtual machines on this server

Operations: SQL updates in database, Storage EVA 3000 via FC

Physical server: HP BL45p G1 2x AMD processors (dual-core) 16 GB of RAM

Yes, host see storage properly.

Thanks and best regards

Tomasz Kurowski

Thanks and best regards Tomasz Kurowski
0 Kudos
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

Do you know which HBA card was on the old server? Is it the same HBA as the new server? You can also verify that you've got the most current version of the driver for the HBA loaded.

You might also want to check to see if you have more than one VCPU - it would we worth testing switching the Virtual Server profile to 1 VCPU and updating the HAL on the server to Uniprocessor (open device manager, highlight the processor and you can change the properties to unitprocessor)

HTH

Mike

0 Kudos