VMware Cloud Community
relegated
Contributor
Contributor

Newer desktop hardware vs older server hardware

I am currently running a Pentium D 915 with 2GB DDR2 and 80GB SATA drive and a 10/100 NIC all on a Gigabyte motherboard. I have been having problems, for example I get kernel panics when installing CentOS 5.3 http://communities.vmware.com/thread/208117 and can't get Ubuntu 8.04 server to install. I believe both of these are related to my processor/motherboard combo. With that said I am considering possibly switching to older server hardware which would be dual Intel Xeon 2.0GHz CPU - SL6EM - 2000DP/512L2/400/1.50V on a Thunder i7501 motherboard with registered ECC memory, not sure how much I can get for free and some 10k SCSI drives. My hope is that switching to this hardware would get rid of the problems I am having without a huge hit in performance but I don't know honestly. I am also considering the switch as the motherboard has dual gigabit NICs which would allow me to upgrade to ESXi 4.0.

So I just wanted to get some thoughts, is it worth the change?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
relegated
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone have any thoughts? Do I need to move this post to another forum?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

What VMware product are you using? Are trying to install Centos into a VM?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
relegated
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 3.5 update 4, I would like to upgrade to 4.0 but I need a gigabit NIC. I was trying to install CentOS 5.3 as a guest. I also could not get Ubuntu 8.04 server 32-bit to install, possibly related to hardware problems.

0 Kudos