VMware Cloud Community
SleiderDE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NFS datastore: How to Update V4 credentials?

Hi,
I'm using a QNAP as storage for my host. The datastores are all connected via NFS V4. Unfortunately, I am now forced to change the name of the QNAP (old: QNAP1; new: QNAP01). This also changes the login (old: QNAP1\esx1; new: QNAP01\esx1).

My problem: How can I change the access data in the existing datastore?

Or am I forced to delete the datastore and register again?

Thanks in advance,
SleiderDE

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SleiderDE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello everyone,
I am replying here on behalf of all the replies. - Thank you very much!

Long story short:
Changes to the connection of an NFS datastore are not possible without the affected VMs having downtime.
This applies both to changing an IP and to changing the NFS V4 credentials.

You must therefore in any case:

• terminate all VMs,
  • remove the datastore and
  • register the datastore with the new data and finally
  • register all VMs again

Thanks again to everybody!

Best regards, 
SleiderDE

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gizzie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try following steps:

1. Stop the datastore
  2. Edit the datastore configuration
  3. After updating the configuration, click "OK" to save the changes.
  4. Verify the connection: Once the remounting is complete, verify that the datastore is accessible and check if status is shown as Mounted and Healthy.
0 Kudos
GaganpreetSingh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello All, 

This NFS v4 Datastore Name getting change in vCenter is the Well known and historic issue.

You need make Sure in the vCenter Server and vSphere the Datastore need to have the Unique name and Unique UUID 

If due to any reason like power or storage outage it is getting change it means there is issue on the storage array end.

Else you can unmount or forcefully remove the Datastore and ask vCenter Sysops engineer to perform stale Datastore entries from vCenter Database (VCD) and then register back 

Do let me if you need any thing else 

Happy to Help 

Regards

Gaganpreet Singh 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Tapas124
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Changing the name of your QNAP storage and its associated login credentials can indeed affect your NFS connections, especially in a VMware ESXi environment. You'll need to update the NFS datastore settings to reflect these changes.

Steps to Update NFS Datastore Settings in VMware ESXi:

Backup Your Data: Before making any changes, ensure you have backups of all critical data stored on the NFS datastores.

Access the ESXi Host: Connect to the ESXi host or vCenter using the vSphere Client. Unmount the NFS Datastore: Navigate to the 'Storage' section. Find the NFS datastore connected to your QNAP. Right-click on the datastore and select 'Unmount'. This will disconnect it without deleting the data.

Update NFS Configuration: Go to 'Networking' and find the NFS settings. Update the NFS path with the new QNAP name (e.g., from /QNAP1/data to /QNAP01/data). Update the access credentials (from QNAP1\esx1 to QNAP01\esx1).

Remount the Datastore: Navigate back to 'Storage'. Add new datastore and select 'NFS'. Enter the updated NFS path and credentials. Remount the datastore.

Verify Connectivity --> Update Any Associated Services or VMs.

Points to Consider:

• Downtime: This process will require downtime for any VMs or services using the NFS datastore.

tmahanta
0 Kudos
SleiderDE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello everyone,
I am replying here on behalf of all the replies. - Thank you very much!

Long story short:
Changes to the connection of an NFS datastore are not possible without the affected VMs having downtime.
This applies both to changing an IP and to changing the NFS V4 credentials.

You must therefore in any case:

• terminate all VMs,
  • remove the datastore and
  • register the datastore with the new data and finally
  • register all VMs again

Thanks again to everybody!

Best regards, 
SleiderDE

Tags (1)
0 Kudos