VMware Cloud Community
Mr-Mistery
Contributor
Contributor

Memory Performance Graph

I have one Virtual machine running SQL on Windows 2003 R2 with one vcpu and has curently 3.6 GB RAM; My customer is asking me for some more RAM !!!

I did some performance graph, weekly, monthly, yearly and Average Monthly Mem usage is 4.32 %.

What other counters I can ue to be able to convince him that current memory is enough?

Also, according to customer: Within the virtual machine itselt Total Memory from the performance tab is FAR greater than the memory from the Processes Tab ??

Thanks

nuthin

nuthin
0 Kudos
6 Replies
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

We could use some screenshots here for better understanding of what your are talking about.

-Surya

0 Kudos
Mr-Mistery
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the attachment.

Memory usage average is low about 4 percent of the 3 GB RAM. But the balloning Average is high??? about 75 percent of tje actul mem!

Is this normal or somthing is wrong? Appreciate explanation.

nuthin

nuthin
0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

What else is running on the host? What is overall memory usage?

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

TVAR Solutions, A Wells Landers Group Company

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

There is a lot of balloon activity on this VM, Which means that the ESX server is running out of memory. You must have overcommited the Memory.

solution:

1) You could consider moving this VM to another ESX server which has better memory resources.

2) You could increase the memory reservations for this VM and ensure that this VM gets a specific amount of memory all the time wether it uses or not. This might cause performance issues with the other running VMs on this host.

3) If this VM is in a DRS cluster. DRS should have taken care of moving the VM across all the possible servers as and when you are running out of resources. If you Virtualization environment is already DRS enables and you are see this issue which means your are running out of resources. The solution would be either increase RAM of few machines in your environment or introduce a new server in the DRS cluster.

Let me know if this helps.

-Surya

0 Kudos
Mr-Mistery
Contributor
Contributor

Surya

Very interesting points .but I have checked those items you mentioned below but none of these are correct. I have 20 GB RAM on the ESX host and currently only 7.36GB is in use.

Also, DRS is enabled and we have 8 Nodes cluster x 20GB ram so should be taking care of if in case there is a competition with other vms.

Still, my question is unanswered why ballooning is very high on this virtual machine, for your info, the running app is MS SQL2005.

Any other explnation?:|

tks

nuthin
0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

Check out Eric's (esiebert) post in this thread - it may help...

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

TVAR Solutions, A Wells Landers Group Company

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos