VMware Cloud Community
y_wisdom
Contributor
Contributor

Max # of LUNs per host / cluster for FC SAN

I know this question has been asked several times regarding best practice / recommendation on storage for optimum performance. I also know that the max # of LUNs per host is 256, which depends on sereral factors like LUN size, # of VMs per LUN, etc. In real world what is the best way to determine when not to add any more LUNs to the hosts in a HA cluster and create a new a new HA cluster with new set of LUNs.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Yes, with vSphere the maximum LUNs is 256 and really it depends on your environment but we've all uses this standard to carve out the LUN to 400-600GB each and allow 10-16VMs per LUN and you can calculate from there. I haven't seen or utilize all 256 LUNs limitation yet but its possible that you may need to use that much. Here is the attached vSphere Maximum configuration guide

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos