VMware Cloud Community
drpavel
Contributor
Contributor

Local Datastore on single ESX Machines best choice?

Hey there!

I've not found this one on the internet so far.

I'm wondering what datastore would potentially be the fastest. In our scenario, we don't use vMotion or something like that. Only one single, but powerful, HP Server (in fact DL380G5) which hast ESX 3.5 installed.

So an external datastore imported with iScsi or SAN would be overhead i guess. But sometimes i think the speed of the datastore is poor. Altough we got a P400 Controller with BatteryPack and Maximum Cache Size. (called "high performance" from hp...)

So what would you say is the best way to get the fastest space for your VM's?

Funny one: the P400 Controller hang up once while the machine was in productive mode. After that, it was over. We had to reboot. We never found out y that happened.

Never had this happen before on many other different machines with different raid controllers. Didn't happen again so far. Whew.

I mean yeah, a phat NetApp Filer with redundant controllers and super fast disks would be nice, but way too expensive. AND: isn't the additional transport over another medium (ethernet or fiber) taking a lot of speed compared to a local raid controller + disks?

(haven't found any performance tables regarding that question)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
matuscak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FWIW, While I've not tried exactly the configuration youre mentioning, we did do some testing a while back with a DL385 comparing the local RAID controller with 15K disks to a Equallogic iSCSI SAN we were evaluating under Windows. The Equallogic was slightly (maybe 10%) faster than the local attach disks. We used MS SQL Server databases to test with.

0 Kudos