biosb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

LUN, Path, Optical fiber

Hello Dear,

When we have SAN Storage:

Please answer my questions

1- Is there a relationship between number of LUNs and number of HBA Ports in Hosts?

2- Is there a relationship between number of LUNs and number of optical fibers (from SAN Switch to Storage)?

3- Is there a relationship  between Paths (in Configure --> "Storage Devices") and optical fibers (from SAN Switch to Storage)?

4- How to find or Is there a formula for calculation of number of HBA ports required? or number of optical fibers required (from SAN Switch to Storage)?

best regards,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fabio1975
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

This is a link with some info:

Optimize Hitachi Storage and Compute Platforms in VMware vSphere Environments | Hitachi Vantara

The First step is to verify the compatibility matrix from VMware vSphere (ESXi) with VSP. Is very important that the ESXi is compatibility with the storage:

Product Compatibility Guide :: Storage Interoperability (hitachivantara.com)

Bye 

Fabio 

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Ciao 

Usually, there are two HBA per host due to the redundancy of the storage connection paths. Normally all storage vendors have specific indications (with also configuration parameters) to connect ESXi hosts to their storage models.

o answer your questions:

1- Is there a relationship between number of LUNs and number of HBA Ports in Hosts?

No

2- Is there a relationship between number of LUNs and number of optical fibers (from SAN Switch to Storage)?

No

3- Is there a relationship between Paths (in Configure --> "Storage Devices") and optical fibers (from SAN Switch to Storage)?

Yes, but it depends on the storage model and if there are fiber switches

4- How to find or Is there a formula for calculation of number of HBA ports required? or number of optical fibers required (from SAN Switch to Storage)?

As mentioned above it depends on the type of storage. Typically at least two HBAs for redundancy

what storage model do you use?

Fabio 

BLOG: https://vmvirtual.blog

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog

0 Kudos
biosb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you

My storage is Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform (VSP). As far as I know this model is first model of VSPs.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

This is a link with some info:

Optimize Hitachi Storage and Compute Platforms in VMware vSphere Environments | Hitachi Vantara

The First step is to verify the compatibility matrix from VMware vSphere (ESXi) with VSP. Is very important that the ESXi is compatibility with the storage:

Product Compatibility Guide :: Storage Interoperability (hitachivantara.com)

Bye 

Fabio 

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog

0 Kudos
biosb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much

Bye