VMware Cloud Community
jpreou
Contributor
Contributor

Jade database apps / workloads

Quick question, since a Google search and forum search hasn't turned up 'The Goods'.

Has anyone out there done P2Vs of jade database / application servers and, if so, seen any post-virtualization performance issues?

We have two engineers here in NZ that have recently done this for two different customers with different hardware bases (both using ESX3.5i) and both have seen degradation in the performance of their Jade systems. Multiple fiddling with 1vCPU vs 2vCPUs, affinity, reservations, shares, memory, reduction of load on the hosts, etc, etc, all the usual stuff, hasn't helped. If you review the ESX hosts it would appear that the hosts are not at all under load and the VMs in question are getting all the resources they need when they need it, and yet performance is still not as it was on the physical systems, even when those physical systems were lower spec'd.

I don't want to go into detailed troubleshooting here as it could take a loooong time and we are under pressure to find a resolution (short of going back physical which would cost significant $$$ now since the original servers have been re-deployed elsewhere). But if anyone out there has any experience or advice regarding Jade database systems, or can point me in the right direction to web-based resources I may have missed, then we would most certainly be grateful.

I'm also in discussion with another customer about virtualizing most of their infrastructure (15 or so VMs across three hosts and a SAN) and they have some Jade stuff too, so I'd like to be able to give that customer some confidence that we can VM those systems ok.

Cheers

Jeff

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Did you run capacity planner against the physical Jade servers to understand the workloads being carried by those machines?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
jpreou
Contributor
Contributor

No I don't believe so, but I should be performing one (hopefully) for the next customer. In either case, it is hard to explain why the Jade systems are running more slowly now when all the perf stats suggest that the ESX hosts are just ticking along nicely and not pushed at all. We do know that Jade uses TCPIP for inter-process communications and we are wondering at this point whether the performance degradation exists within the networking stack (even though it all happens on the same VM).

0 Kudos