Hi,

I have used the script and got the following output on my selected datastore

Name             : <storage>
Capacity (GB)    : 10239,75
FreeSpace (GB)   : 3228,69
Overprovisioned% : 98,1
Freespace%       : 31,5
Provisioned (GB) : 10046,6

This is the image i get when adding a disk (which shows the overprovisioning) from VCenter 7

18-04-23_36-28.png

Excuse my ignorance but i'm very confused about the results and what do they actually means in terms of "getting the LUN dead"

From the screenshot my logic says that the capacity is 10TB i have provisioned 9.81 TB and the Free is 3.15TB which accordind to math 9.81+3.15=12,96 it is over 10TB so you are in a bad position?

From the excellent script of LucD a get the %of overprovisioned to be 98.1 which what does it mean it is below 100%, does this mean it not overprovisioned ? if it was 105% then it will be overprovisioned ?

What is my margin here ? the freespace% 31% means what? is this the 3.15TB the 31.5% freespace% ?

I'm really confused about the free space and the capacity provisioned. Do i actually have 322GB to give to a disk before i go over provisioned ?

Does this mean that when the thin disks allready on the VMs grow 10TB-9.81TB (from the image) =190GB more the lun will be full and stopped working.

Maybe a nice simple explanation of the stats above or what does actually the numbers means.

Sorry for the confusing questions, if anyone can try and help will be greatlly appreciated.

regards,

Vassilis

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You have 10239 in terms of physical disk capacity. Of that you still have 3228 of free capacity. However, you have provisioned a total of 10046GB, but considering the free capacity that total of 10046GB is not actively consumed, so some of this is still free space. Which means you can provision more. However, if you run out of free capacity your VMs will come to a full stop.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You have 10239 in terms of physical disk capacity. Of that you still have 3228 of free capacity. However, you have provisioned a total of 10046GB, but considering the free capacity that total of 10046GB is not actively consumed, so some of this is still free space. Which means you can provision more. However, if you run out of free capacity your VMs will come to a full stop.

0 Kudos
VassilisC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply depping,

So this calculation is wrong for me to assume from the screenshot:

10TB capaciti - 9.81TB proviisioned space= 0.19 (19GBs?) free which is not the 3.22 TB free. It is not that i can expand only 19GBs on the disks. It is actually 3.22 TB free more ?

And in terms of the script used to find the % of overprovisioned which is Overprovisioned% : 98,1% ,
if i had overprovisioned then it would say 101%  or more, correct ?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Correct, you are close to being overprovisioned, but you are not overprovisioned just yet. However, "unprovisioned" space is very low. So if you keep adding VMs you will be overprovisioned and there will be a risk of running out of space.