VMware Cloud Community
MattG
Expert
Expert

How large do you make your VMFS volumes?

Its been awhile since I've considered VMFS sizing.    With VAAI and all SSD SAN storage,  most of the VMFS sizing limits have been removed.

We are currently moving from 20TB Pure SAN LUNs to 40TB.   

Was wondering what sizes the community is using? 

Any concerns with going even larger?

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
Labels (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

For me it's not really just a matter of size. I usually look at the VMs' requirements, the number of VMs, and their purpose.
For VMs that backup each other like DCs, or clustered system that need to be highly available, I usually not only place them on different hosts, but also on different datastores.

Although most of the concerns with older ESXi versions, and HDD based storage like queue depth, etc. may not be relevant anymore, I'm still a bit conservative with the number of VMs on a given LUN, and the VMs workload (e.g. high performance DBs, ..).

So to answer your questions, I'm usually starting with 4TB datastores, but also use much larger sizes for large workloads.
This may of course be different, depending on the environment's size, i.e. having too many datastores is also not really helpful.

André

filipe_dias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I use datastores dimensioned based on VM sizes, with, at least 25% for snapshots.

0 Kudos
MaxB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In some environments I use 60 TB Datastores from a Purestorage Flasharray.

I try to leave 20% free space on the Datastore. Works great so far. 

In other Clusters we run a variety of Datstores sizes. (16TB, 10TB, 40TB). Mostly Purestorage, but the smaller Datastores are from HPE or Huawai storage. ( all Fibrechannel block devices with VMFS)

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Only thing that I would take into consideration is the amount of time it would take to recover/restore a datastore in case something goes wrong. I've seen customers doing 2TB, 20TB, and even higher. As long as you feel comfortable with it that is just fine.

0 Kudos
sthoppaynetapp
Contributor
Contributor

VMware supported max configuration size is 64TB (Refer - https://configmax.esp.vmware.com/guest?vmwareproduct=vSphere&release=vSphere%208.0&categories=2-0).

NFS volume size limit is dictated by Storage Platform.

Size might vary from customer to customer based on their storage policy consumption.

0 Kudos