VMware Cloud Community
lakshm01
Contributor
Contributor

Gaps in vCenter Performance Statistics

Hello!

Our VMware environment is running in ESXi 4.1 update 1 and vCenter 4.1. We are having some issue in viewing the performance statistics for ESXi hosts and virtual machines in the vCenter. There are intermittent gaps in the performance statistics but there are no issues in the virtual machines or performance of the virtual machines. I have attached the performance stats of one of our ESXi hosts which shows the gaps in the performance statistics.

If some has the similar issue and have a solution to fix this issue. Please reply back to me or contact me in madhan.lakshmipathy@capgemini.com

Thanks for you help in advance.

Regards

Madhan

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Generious
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is this happening just on one host or multible ESX hosts?

Check your time settings on the ESX hosts and make sure its running on all of them and they are all at the same time and date.

Check your database for space related issues or jobs not running.

Check the processor usage on the database server.

Also can you check your current vpxd for error similiar to

[VdbStatement] SQL execution took too long: BEGIN process_temptable0_proc; END;

From KB: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103089...

0 Kudos
cayaraa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm seeing the same thing.  Sometimes days there will be many gaps and some days will only have one gap.  For us it happens on 3 ESXi servers in a cluster.  Sometimes two will happen at the same time, sometimes it will be just one...never all 3 though.  Time is being synced to the same ntp servers for all the ESXi servers, vCenter, and database server.  I haven't seen any high load on the vCenter or database server.  One thing that does stand out is that we use oracle for our database.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

It usually indicates high load on the vCenter or Oracle host, or not enough RAM on either.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
lakshm01
Contributor
Contributor

We have logged a complaint with VMware and VMware said they never faced this issue before. We have uploaded our ESXi hosts log file to VMware to investigate it further and they internally logged this issue with the R&D team to replicate and provide a solution. Sorry for not responding to any of your message but the solutions you provided are tried already. Thanks for all of your suggesstions. Will keep you posted. Thanks

0 Kudos
Lost_Steak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same problem but managed to get it resolved.

Check out

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/314812

Regards,

0 Kudos
lakshm01
Contributor
Contributor

Dear All

Many thanks for your response and viewing my question...

After a long battle, VMware come up with a solution and suggestion that this is a database related problem where there was key which needs to be set to TRUE.

If you encounter similar Gaps in Performance counters then please try setting the "IGNORE DUPLICATE KEY" Value to TRUE and see the result.

I hope VMware will fix this database issue in thier next release.

If you find this information helpfull please give me points...

Many Thanks

Madhankumar

0 Kudos