VMware Cloud Community
omrits
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1 Network performance

Hey guys,

I read about 20 different articles regarding ESXi network performance and Windows Server VM guest, and I still having an issue with the network performance.

I got 2 VM guests (Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1)

with both of them I have an issue with copying files speed @ the network (doesnt matter what size)

when I copy file locaclly I get around 40-50 MBs

anyhow, on the first vm guest, the tcp offload thing, worked great and after disabling it, network performance was much better

on the second vm, i did the same thing (both are on the same settings and ofcourse with vmware tools installed) and i'm still having poor network performance. (around 50-200kb/s)

besides the tcp offload thing, i also did the following:

• -- disabled IPv6

• -- disabled "Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level"  (netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled)

• -- disabled "Chimney Offload State"

• -- disabled SMB 2.0

• -- disabled SMB signing

• -- deactived Remote Differential Compression (RDC)

• 127.0.0.1 .host    (should only relevant for Shared Folders but I put it in anyways)

* Disabled Windows Firewall

* Changed VM network interface (all 3 of them)

please assist, i have no idea what else to try.

thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
logiboy123
Expert
Expert

Can you upload a screenshot of your host networking?

Are these VM's communicating on the same LAN or VLAN? 

Is any traffic going to different switches? If so how are your switches interconnected?

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
omrits
Contributor
Contributor

it's a small business, there is only 10 computers, and one esxi host with 2 vm's, and yes, they're all connected to the same switch (only one with no vlans).

now the problem appears on both vm's again.

I managed to find out the exact situation of the problem

when i get files from share on the vm it self, the speed is poor

but, when i copy files from local servers to the vm, the speed is awsome.

as i said before, i disabled everything related to the offload engine, also in the registry and also in the network adapter:

IPv4 Checksum Offload
Large Send Offload (IPv4)
TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4)
UDP Checksum offload (IPv4)
Jumbo Packet
any ideas?
0 Kudos
chowsunwin
Contributor
Contributor

I also meet the same issue not only in esxi4.1u1 but also in esxi5.0. When I copy files from share folder (wind7, not VM) to a w2k8 (VM and located at nfs), the performances is very low. I doubt it is vmware esxi 5.0 and esxi4.1u1 issue, pls vmware engineers show comments for us, it will impact our vmware product applying.

0 Kudos
omrits
Contributor
Contributor

hey

i'm not sure if you are having the same issue that i had, but we found the cause for this problem

we solved it by changing the virtual switch speed configuration to Auto Negoitate, you can find it under the host configuration > networking > vswitch propertise > network adapters tab > speed > auto negotiate.

basiclly, you need to make sure that all the ethernet device configuration it all set to "Auto Negoitate"

from my understanding,on the defualt ESXiinstallation it configures the vswitch to 100mbit instead of auto negoitate.

hope it helps

good luck

0 Kudos
chowsunwin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Omrits,

I also try your solution, but in vain,

The performance is so low and the esxi 4.1u1 and esxi5.o application will be impacted.

I doubt it seems esxi4.1u1 and esxi5.0 issue.

Thanks

Chris,Zou

SITII, Shanghai RD Center, Inventec(Pudong) Technology Corp. 789 Puxing Road, Min Hang Distinct, Shanghai 201114, China

Tel: +86(21)6429 8888 Ext:62949

0 Kudos
chowsunwin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, unfortunately, the issue still exist, I doubt it is vmware esxi 4 and esxi5 issue.

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

omrits wrote:

from my understanding,on the defualt ESXiinstallation it configures the vswitch to 100mbit instead of auto negoitate.

That is not correct, luckily, since it would give very bad performance on most network. However, the display of the configured speed does show a hard set value on 4.x, even if AUTO really is being used.

To chowsunwin, do you still having this issues?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos