VMware Cloud Community
EgThor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Copy files from ESXi 4 to ESXi 4 hosts VERY SLOW with "FastSCP 3" ?

Hello,

I have two HP ML350 G5 Servers installed with ESXi 4. now I want to move some VMs from one ESXi host to another. It is a small test system.

I found this program Veeam FastSCP which claims to be a faster tool to copy files among ESXi servers, so I installed this tool on my client workstation and started to copy yesterday.

But the transfer rate is only 14MB/s, it will take >26 hours to finish my plan (transfer about 1TB data). I am not pleased with this speed, because the NICs on both ESXi servers, my client station and the switch in between are 1GB...

Is this speed normal? Or do we have some better ways to do it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gostev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Firestartah is correct, I just wanted to confirm and add the direct links:

Yes, it is "normal" file transfer speed for ESXi, whether it is 3.5 or 4.0:

Expected speed for FastSCP 3.0

File transfers are a few times faster with "fat" ESX, however the latest versio of ESX 4.0 has some sort of service console disk read throttling described here:

Slow disk read speed on ESX4

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi

Veeam's stance on this is: That's normal for ESXi (sorry) Fat ESX would be much faster check out: http://www.vnotion.com/ or

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
Gostev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Firestartah is correct, I just wanted to confirm and add the direct links:

Yes, it is "normal" file transfer speed for ESXi, whether it is 3.5 or 4.0:

Expected speed for FastSCP 3.0

File transfers are a few times faster with "fat" ESX, however the latest versio of ESX 4.0 has some sort of service console disk read throttling described here:

Slow disk read speed on ESX4

0 Kudos
EgThor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hello, thanks for your replies, specially to , the PM of FastSCP.

I have reconverted my VMs to the ESXi host that I wanted to copy files to, took about 5 hours, since seems like there is nothing I can do with ESXi servers.

Have a good day!

0 Kudos