VMware Cloud Community
krik011
Contributor
Contributor

Changing iSCSI Target IP

We have 20 Virtual Machines on 2 servers in an ESX 3.5 cluster. Our current SAN/iScsi implementation is on the same subnet as our physical servers and guests. We would like to create a separate VLAN for just the iSCSI traffic. I am starting to test this on an ESXi 4.0 iSCSI to FreeNAS. Background ( 6 NICS on each ESX server) 2 are currently assigned to VMotion, Console and iSCSI target, 4 are assigned to Guests. To my knowledge this is all that needs to take place:

-Obviously shut down all the guests

-Create the VLAN

-Plug the SAN into the new VLAN ports and 1 GB NIC from each ESX server into the new VLAN

-Create a new Virtual Switch in ESX 3.5 assign both iSCSI NICS from each ESX server to the new Virtual Switch

-Change the IP on the SAN and 2 ESX iSCSI NICs to the same new VLAN subnet

-Chage the iSCSI target in ESX to the new IP on the new VLAN to the SAN

-Rescan storage adapters

-Once it finds the update iSCSI target Start all the Guests back up

So to sum it up we will now have 3 Virtual Switches. 1 Nic for VMotion/Console, 1 Nic for iSCSI target, and the 4 remaining for the guests. (should we assign 2 nics to new Virtual switch for iSCSI for failover purposes and have 3 NICS for guests?)

Is there anyway to see all 12 NICS and how they are assigned? I am only looking at each server and which switch they are assigned to... anyway to see the big picture?

Is this a good outline and is it as simple as that?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
rriva
Expert
Expert

I think your project is fine !

I didn't see anything can cause problems.

Riccardo Riva

VCP,RHCE,FCNSA

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thank You!

RRiva | http://about.me/riccardoriva | http://www.riccardoriva.com
TimPhillips
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Configuration is good, but I would to recommend you to use Starwind, for testing free version will be fine. Based on my own work can say that it`s pretty cool software.

Tim.

krik011
Contributor
Contributor

FreeNAS works good for creating a iSCSI target.. but thanks for the recomendation.

0 Kudos
TimPhillips
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not a problem. I`ve choosed Starwind after testing both products.

0 Kudos