VMware Global Community
ixuacu
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Appliance 5 core storage partition full

Hi there,

I have a vCenter appliance v5 and since about 10 days the vCenter service stops itself automatically. It seems to be a problem not having any free space on the logs partitions on the appliance.

/dev/sdb1     100%     /storage/core

/dev/sdb2     20%     /storage/log

/dev/sdb3     51%     /storage/db

Is there anyway to free up space deleting files or it´s mandatory to add more storage with an NFS share?

Thanks in advance.

Joaquin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mokymura
Expert
Expert

Hi

I don´t have experience with the VCenter appliance, but check the following  link: http://vmwire.com/2012/03/17/configure-nfs-storage-on-the-vmware-vcenter-server-appliance/

looks like could help you

regards

Si encuentras esta u otras respuesta útiles, por favor considera el asignar puntos seleccionando la respuesta como útil o correcta If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct.
ixuacu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I´ve seen this document to add extra space with NFS storage but i´d like to know if it´s avoidable as i´m not sure if we could get any NFS share.

The point will be to know which files are ok to delete on /storage/core.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ixuacu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I´m still looking for a solution. I found the following document to expand the disks on the vCenter Operations Standard VA:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103565...

I´ve expanded the virtual disk and the system is aware of the full new space. Now if i try to unmount the partition to expand it it says it´s in use and i can´t find which service is using the file system.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vcenterapp:/ # umount /dev/sdb2
umount: /storage/log: device is busy.
        (In some cases useful info about processes that use
         the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Kizel171
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue that just cropped up recently.  Unfortunately, I don't have a long-term solution, but I did create a work-around.

I would be careful following the guide you posted for resizing the disk. I believe that assumes there is only one partition on the virtual disk and the vCSA has three partitions on the disk that's full. If you expand the first partition using parted you'll overwrite the logging and database partitions. I used Gparted Live to move the logs and db to the end of the disk then expand core into the middle. That also bypasses the problem of having vCSA processes blocking the disk from unmounting because those services won't be running when the Live CD is loaded.

If anyone does know how to set the core files to rotate properly so this doesn't happen in the future I'd be very interested in that solution.

0 Kudos