VMware Support Community
ArturLorek
Contributor
Contributor

SHD3 - fresh deployment, Failed to set up standard output, API Fail, NGINX init failed

There were a couple posts about problems with fresh deployment and no accessibility to the UI.
I am having a slightly different issue with a fresh deployment of the OVA (after sorting out the problems with expired root pass and UI accessibility.

On the UI I am getting:

Oops! An Error occurred!

Error Message:

Services Unavailable!!
Http failure response for /api/v1: 0 Unknown Error

Checking the logs using journalctl returned:

systemd[1088]: vmware-shd-service: Failed to set up standard output: No such file or directory
systemd[1088]: vmware-shd-service:Failed at step STDOUT spawning /opt/vmware-shd/vmware-shd/app/checkupdate: No such file or directory
systemd[1090]: vmware-shd-service: Failed to set up standard output: No such file or directory
systemd[1090]: vmware-shd-service:Failed at step STDOUT spawning /bin/mv: No such file or directory
systemd[1092]: vmware-shd-service: Failed to set up standard output: No such file or directory
systemd[1092]: vmware-shd-service:Failed at step STDOUT spawning /opt/vmware-shd/vmware-shd/app/checkupdate: No such file or directory
systemd[1]: vmware-shd.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=209/STDOUT
systemd[1]: vmware-shd.service:Failed with result 'exit-code'
systemd[1]: Failed to start VMware SKyline Health Diagnostics API Server
nginx[928]: nginx: [emerg] cannot load certificate "/opt/vmware-shd/vmware-shd/conf/ssl/rui.crt": BIO_new_file() failed (SSL: error:25066067:DSO support routinges:DLFCN_LOAD:could not load the shared library:filename(libz.so): libz.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory error:25070067:DSO support routines:DSO_load:could not load the shared lubrary error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:fopen('/opt/vmware-shd/vmware-shd/conf/ssl/rui.crt','r') error:2006D080:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:no such file)
ngingx[928]: nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed

(...)
systemd[1]: nginx.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
systemd[1]: nginx.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'
systemd[1]: Failed to start Nginx High-performance HTTTP server and reverse proxy

It then keeps trying to start the API server and keeps failing.

Starting afresh, rebooting, installing from the ISO connected as virtual drive, over an existing instance - gets all the same result, as per above.

Could anyone help here ??
0 Kudos
11 Replies
araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Seems like some data on SHD installation directory is corrupted, please try deploying a fresh build using OVA.

BTW there is a known UI issue which is currently being fixed and soon new build will be available, I would recommend to wait for couple of days for new SHD release.

ghiacciolo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!!

Have you solved?

0 Kudos
araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please try using SHD 3.5.2 which is the latest release available. And let me know if you still face any issues.

Note: Please use OVA to deploy fresh install, ISO is only for offline upgrade purpose.

ghiacciolo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

Thank you for the answer!

Sure I have installed:

VMware-Skyline-HealthDiagnostics-Appliance-3.5.2-21331180_OVF10.ova

vmware-shd-3.5.2-21331180.iso

But the error is the same... and this is a fresh install... Just login with al lot of difficult and changed the password and installed the .iso shd... 

nginx.service - The NGINX HTTP and reverse proxy server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nginx.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2023-05-12 08:40:30 UTC; 5min ago
Process: 1929 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/nginx -t (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

May 12 08:40:30 skyline systemd[1]: Starting The NGINX HTTP and reverse proxy server...
May 12 08:40:30 skyline nginx[1929]: nginx: [emerg] cannot load certificate "/opt/vmware-shd/vmware-shd/conf/ssl/rui.crt": BIO_new_file() failed (SSL: error:25066067:DSO support routines:DLFCN_LOAD:could not load the shared library:filename(libz.so): libz.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory error:25070067:DSO support routines:DSO_load:could not load the shared library error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:fopen('/opt/vmware-shd/vmware-shd/conf/ssl/rui.crt','r') error:2006D080:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:no such file)
May 12 08:40:30 skyline nginx[1929]: nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed
May 12 08:40:30 skyline systemd[1]: nginx.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
May 12 08:40:30 skyline systemd[1]: nginx.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
May 12 08:40:30 skyline systemd[1]: Failed to start The NGINX HTTP and reverse proxy server.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please don't use ISO for installation, that is for off-line upgrades.

Just deploy OVA and make sure to provide passwords with proper complexity.

araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

In case issue still not resolved please send email to shd-support@vmware.com we will try to arrange a zoom call for live debugging.

ghiacciolo
Contributor
Contributor

I did how is shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBZuBINtcAM

I have uploaded the VMware-Skyline-HealthDiagnostics-Appliance-3.5.2-21331180_OVF10.ova file and than I have mounted the vmware-shd-3.5.2-21331180.iso and instelld the content of the .iso: 

sh /mnt/cdrom/install.sh

0 Kudos
araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Ghiacciolo,

SHD OVA is for fresh installation, SHD ISO is for only offline upgrades.

Please follow steps mentioned at https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Skyline-Health-Diagnostics/services/Skyline-Health-Diagnostics/GUI...

Let me explain installation steps as well.

1) Connect to vCenter/ESXi using Chrome web browser.

2) Authenticate with vCenter/ESXi user credentials.

3) Select cluster or ESXi on which you want to deploy SHD instance.

4) Right click and select Deploy OVF Template

5) Mention OVF URL or upload locally downloaded OVA.

6) In deployment wizard please provide credentials for root and ssd-admin user

7) The password must contain at least 8 characters, have characters from at least 2 classes from Group 1 (lowercase alphabet, uppercase alphabet and numbers) and at least 1 character from the class group 2 (Special Characters) For example "CoolBox@2023"

If DHCP is available on selected port group/network leave all network settings blank, else provide static IP, hostname, DNS server, NTP server etc

9) Once OVF/OVA deployment completes power-on the VM and wait for 5 min (for firstboot scripts to configure SHD instance.

10) Connect to SHD instance using browser and VM IP

Note: Don't use ISO for anywhere in above steps.

Let me know if installation passes or fails.

Thanks

SHD Support

ghiacciolo
Contributor
Contributor

I have uploaded the .ova file in a single node out of the vcenter... 

The skyline tool needs to be in a cluster managed by a vcenter? 

The vcenter is mandatory? If yes I will try in our cluster where we have the vcenter.

Let me know please... 🙂 

0 Kudos
araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Ghiacciolo,

No vCenter or Cluster is not mandatory. You also deploy SHD OVA on single ESXi.

The steps what I mentioned are generic in terms, if you want to deploy on vCenter or ESXi.

Thanks

Ashish

araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Ghiacciolo,

I hope issue is resolved, could you please update the thread?

Thanks

Ashish

0 Kudos