UHViTeam
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot reset shd-admin password

shd-admin password has expired

i called Vmware support and no assistance from them

i get no permissions as the shd-admin account has expired

i have tried  both and they dont work 

Change User Details or Reset Password Using Console (vmware.com)

Resetting the Expired Password for shd-admin (vmware.com)

0 Kudos
14 Replies
raycward
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Process to Reset the Root Password in VMware Skyline Appliance

1. Take a snapshot or backup of the Appliance before proceeding. Do not skip this step.

2. Reboot the Appliance

3. After the Photon OS starts and the splash screen appears PRESS ESC
This will pause the screen on the Photon splash

4. press e key to enter the GNU GRUB Edit Menu.

5. Locate the line that begins with the word Linux.

6. Scroll right and append these entries to the end of the line:

rw init=/bin/bash

The line should look like the following screenshot:

7. Press F10 to continue booting.

This should take you to the root # prompt

8. Type "passwd" to set the root password

9. Type "reboot -f" to reboot the appliance

Confirm after boot you can login

From <https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Skyline-Community-Discussions/Unlock-Root-account/td-p/1848578

0 Kudos
Penobscot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you get a permissions error when you try the second link?

0 Kudos
Mac13k
Contributor
Contributor

I had problem with access denied when I tried https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Skyline-Health-Diagnostics/services/Skyline-Health-Diagnostics/GUI...

/usr/sbin/shd-config: line 249: /opt/vmware-shd/vmware-shd/app/apiserver/usermanager: Permission denied

I checked files in /opt/vmware-shd/vmware-shd/app/apiserver and I tried start:

/opt/vmware-shd/vmware-shd/app/apiserver/usermanager~

when I run this command, I could change shd-admin password

DDTN_CW
Contributor
Contributor

Ive got the same problem here, logged in as root run "./opt/vmware-shd/vmware-shd/app/apiserver/usermanager~" and was able to change password. 

0 Kudos
10rnato
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try this:

Link

Prerequisites

• Verify that you have root user credentials for the Appliance/VM VMware Skyline Health Diagnostics is running.

• Verify that you able to SSH or open VM Console from vSphere Client to an Appliance/VM where VMware Skyline Health Diagnostics is running .

• Verify that you can log in using root credentials to OS.

• For more information about enabling the root user log in on Photon OS, see : here (This configuration is not necessary for VMware SHD Appliance as by default it is configured to allow root user logins through SSH)

Procedure

1. Open the VM/Appliance Console using vCenter Server user interface or SSH
  2. Log in as a root user.
  3. Run command: shd-config resetadmin
  4. Provide the expired password when prompted.
  5. Enter the new password and confirm it. The password must contain at least 8 characters, have characters from 2 classes of Group 1 and 1 from Group 2.
    • Valid Character Class Group 1: [a-z], [A-Z], [0-9]

• Valid Character Class Group 2: [~!@#$%^&]

jacktorres1
Contributor
Contributor

@10rnato wrote:

Try this:

Link

Prerequisites

• Verify that you have root user credentials for the Appliance/VM VMware Skyline Health Diagnostics is running.

• Verify that you able to SSH or open VM Console from vSphere Client to an Appliance/VM where VMware Skyline Health Diagnostics is running .

• Verify that you can log in using root credentials to OS.

• For more information about enabling the root user log in on Photon OS, see : tutubox (This configuration is not necessary for VMware SHD Appliance as by default it is configured to allow root user logins through SSH)

Procedure

1. Open the VM/Appliance Console using vCenter Server user interface or SSH
  2. Log in as a root user.
  3. Run command: shd-config resetadmin
  4. Provide the expired password when prompted.
  5. Enter the new password and confirm it. The password must contain at least 8 characters, have characters from 2 classes of Group 1 and 1 from Group 2.
    • Valid Character Class Group 1: [a-z], [A-Z], [0-9]

• Valid Character Class Group 2: [~!@#$%^&]

I had the same issue and thanks for this detailed explanation. It worked for me

0 Kudos
crayCityofCraig
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to follow this procedure, but apparently my password database did not have the correct expired password so I cannot change the shd-admin password. I do have root access. How can I change the shd-admin password without knowing the old password?

0 Kudos
ArturLorek
Contributor
Contributor

Temporary ROOT password is vmware.

So when you go to shd-config and are prompted for the current expired pass - try that.

0 Kudos
crayCityofCraig
Contributor
Contributor

I tried using vmware for the expired shd-admin password and it did not work. There must be a way to reset the shd-admin password without knowing the old password since I do know the root password. Isn't there a way to delete the old credentials and assign a new password?

0 Kudos
sugumar_konica
Contributor
Contributor

Did you find the option to reset shd-admin account password without knowing the old one? I managed to change the expired password (by executing shd-config resetadmin with the expired), however not able to login with the new password.

0 Kudos
RashidM1337
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue though for me I forgot what password I had set for shd-admin. Luckily I still remembered the root password. Follow the below steps to set a new password for shd-admin:

1. Login to SHD using the root account
  2. Inside root's home directory you will find vmware-shd directory
  3. Inside there is a file name "cap-firstboot.sh"
  4. run the file ./cap-firstboot.sh
  5. Once it completes, run shd-user and you will be prompted to set a new password for shd-admin account.
  6. Now you can login using the new password
sugumar_konica
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to with "./cap-firstboot.sh" command it did finish, however when I run "shd-user" I still get Authentication Failed message. Apparently it is still trying to authenticate with the old pwd and not allowing to set new one.

0 Kudos
sugumar_konica
Contributor
Contributor

Realized there are no option to reset forgotten pwd shd-admin account, so I will have to recreate the DB to set the password again. Pls note, you will lose the configuration and will have to configure it again (like vCenter etc...)

Rename the file "/opt/vmware-shd/vmware-shd/db/vmware-shd.db" -> reboot the appliance -> login as root -> run the command shd-user -> set the new pwd

mmangold
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can confirm that these steps furnish the desired result; +1!

--
MM
VI-Admin | vSphere | vSAN | Aria | Skyline Advisor Pro
Tags (1)
0 Kudos