VMware Support Community
Penobscot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

3.0 install hangs

I received a notice in the 2.5.2 console that there was a major version upgrade available. I followed the instructions in the SHD guide and downloaded and deployed the OVA.

It hangs at the appliance initialization script. I can ping the VM, but other than that there is no sign of life.

Screenshot 2021-12-17 115956.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Penobscot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I ended up rebooting the VM and it seems to have worked. The only other thing of note if you're upgrading is to make sure the root user on the old SHD has SSH access, as you will need that to transfer its data to the new one. Once done, everything comes over verbatim.

Finally, the OVA image uses an E1000 NIC and an LSI controller. This is not VMware best practice. I don't know if there is a reason for that but I replaced them with VMXNET3 and paravirtual devices. This may or may not have caused the install issue but the appliance does function as expected.

Skillvps
Contributor
Contributor

Same problems with ver 4. I can't install it. I tried 10+ times but nothing... Why WMvare not test servers?  

0 Kudos
anshumansingh
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @Skillvps ,

Can you please elaborate the problem and provide some screenshots, if it's the same problem mentioned by @Penobscot does rebooting not solve it ?

Please let us know more details so we can help.

0 Kudos
araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Penobscot,

This is not a issue, after rebooting SHD VM, just wait for 5 min and then you can press Enter key to get command prompt.

Thanks

Ashish

0 Kudos