VMware Support Community
seamusobr1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere-VCSADBDiskSpace-KB#76563

We had a vcenter that crashed the other day because the /storage/db/vpostgres/pg_log/ partition had filled up

Would we have expected Skyline to pick up that the partition was about to fill up and at what warning level does the alert appear

It is a vcsa appliance 6.7 that is registered with Skyline

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Narasimha_Pras1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

A request has been submitted to the Skyline engineering and the rule will be updated shortly. It will show the finding as moderate when the disk space is between 75%-90% and as critical above 90%.

Best Regards,
Narasimha Prasad
Skyline Support Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Narasimha_Pras1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Please note that as per KB 76563, Skyline will identify partitions under storage like db, seat, archive etc with high disk space usage and provide recommendations. But this rule will not identify, any specific sub folder (like /storage/db/vpostgres/pg_log) which is full.

Best Regards,
Narasimha Prasad
0 Kudos
seamusobr1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok Thanks for that

Is this alert currently active on skyline and at what percentage of the drive being full does the alert become active

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Narasimha_Pras1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Seamus,
Apologies for the confusion. I did some research with my internal resources on this topic and it should be possible to identify disk space usage at disk/partition level as well. We have your details from the previous Community posts. We checked your environment and as per the latest analysis, this issue is now being reported in Advisor. I also checked the rule logic. This issue is reported once the disk space reaches 90%.

Best Regards,
Narasimha Prasad
0 Kudos
jbgorrie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A question on the rule - you say it is checking at 90%.  Given the findings are checked every 2+ days (maybe 3) then is 90% too high a value?

Is something like 75% a better number?  I expect there has been internal debate on the number, but for me 90% seems too high for a DB store.

0 Kudos
Narasimha_Pras1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Seamus,

At 75% you may see this recommendation more frequently and not all the customers may like it. Even at 90%, you will have sufficient time to address the issue.

Best Regards,
Narasimha Prasad
0 Kudos
jbgorrie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

To be clear I am not Seamus - I just noted his question and started talking.

I disagree with the assertion that 90% is fine.  If you are climbing at 10% per day and you hit 89% It will not alarm, then you do not re-check your findings till it has reached 109% at best.  Further that assumes that I check the findings every time there is a new finding - which is not occurring.

I would agree that if you alerted (say via email or something) when a timely finding was raised then perhaps 90% is fine, but not otherwise.

Jason

0 Kudos
Narasimha_Pras1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. I will share it with our engineering team to validate the feasibility of making these changes.

Best Regards,
Narasimha Prasad
0 Kudos
seamusobr1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Problem is we are not seeing any alerts for this so I do agree with the previous comment that 75% would be better as it will give us to fix the issue

0 Kudos
Narasimha_Pras1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

A request has been submitted to the Skyline engineering and the rule will be updated shortly. It will show the finding as moderate when the disk space is between 75%-90% and as critical above 90%.

Best Regards,
Narasimha Prasad
0 Kudos