VMware Support Community
Doc_r
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter inventory not making it to SA?

Had an issue a couple of weeks back with a couple vCenters.  Reconnected connectors since, and data shows as uploaded on connectors, but inventory data is not showing up now in console?  Any ideas?  Recycled collectors several times and data seems to be pushing out.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @Doc_r,

It would take up to 48 hours for the Inventory to update once reconfigured on Skyline Collector.

Insufficient Privileges error reported for one of the Endpoint could be because of the User used or the privileges assigned on vCenter is not propagated to children

In order to validate:

1. Login to Skyline UI
  2. Check the user used to configure vCenter with Skyline
  3. Log in to vCenter Server
  4. Navigate to Roles and check if this user is assigned to multiple roles (Skyline Role and Read-Only Role)
  5. If assigned in multiple places assign the user to the Created role (Skyline Role)
  6. Navigate to Host and Cluster View, select vCenter as the first object
  7. Click on the Permission tab 
  8. Check if the User is Added with the Role (Skyline Role) and if Propagate to Children is enabled.

Once updated, you could either reboot the collector or wait for it to automatically check and update the permissions status on Advisor.

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
Skyline Support Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
evfernandez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @Doc_r 

Thank you for contacting Skyline Support!

We're sorry you're facing this issue. I'd like to take a look at your Skyline Account and have sent you a message to your Communities Inbox. Please check and respond at the earliest.

Eddie Fernandez
Manager, Skyline Support
0 Kudos
evfernandez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks for the information, @Doc_r !

We're in touch with our engineering team about this. We'll revert as soon as we hear back from them.

Eddie Fernandez
Manager, Skyline Support
0 Kudos
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @Doc_r,

As per the description I understand that there was a issue with vCenter, since which I went back looking at SR history and found that the vCenter was redeployed recently, with the same configuration (FQDN/IP)

When the vCenter is redeployed, even if we are using the same FQDN and IP address, the certificates are changed because of which Skyline would not be able to communicate with vCenter

Request you to re-configure the endpoints on Skyline Collector.
Login to Skyline Collector UI (https://skylineCollectorIP)
Use the Admin user credentials to login to Skyline Collector UI
Click on the Configuration tab
Delete the endpoints (vCenter) configured 
Configure the vCenters with Skyline collector again

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
0 Kudos
Doc_r
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@ashwin_prakash pre-existing collectors were re-config'd since vCenter re-deploy.  They are connected fine and collecting and uploading data properly from what I see.  Would you still suggest that I delete existing endpoints and re-create?

0 Kudos
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @Doc_r,

Could you please let us know when were these collectors re-configured.

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
0 Kudos
Doc_r
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter endpoint connections have been re-created now.

1 collector connection is showing fine from cloud portal, 1 still shows "Insufficient Privileges".

Both collector endpoints are showing green across the board.

0 Kudos
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @Doc_r,

It would take up to 48 hours for the Inventory to update once reconfigured on Skyline Collector.

Insufficient Privileges error reported for one of the Endpoint could be because of the User used or the privileges assigned on vCenter is not propagated to children

In order to validate:

1. Login to Skyline UI
  2. Check the user used to configure vCenter with Skyline
  3. Log in to vCenter Server
  4. Navigate to Roles and check if this user is assigned to multiple roles (Skyline Role and Read-Only Role)
  5. If assigned in multiple places assign the user to the Created role (Skyline Role)
  6. Navigate to Host and Cluster View, select vCenter as the first object
  7. Click on the Permission tab 
  8. Check if the User is Added with the Role (Skyline Role) and if Propagate to Children is enabled.

Once updated, you could either reboot the collector or wait for it to automatically check and update the permissions status on Advisor.

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
0 Kudos
Doc_r
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have validated, removed, and  re-added top level permissions on vCenter side.

Still seeing the insuff permissions error at portal side, collector is happy though.

I will try this again, FYi vCenters in question are in ELM, so initially I created role and granted permission as global permission.  Role is replicated fine cross-vCenter.  So I am not sure where the issue is.

0 Kudos
Doc_r
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looks like things are now flowing properly after killing endpoints, re-adding and validating permissions.

Thanks much!

0 Kudos