VMware Support Community
Chizl10
Contributor
Contributor

skyline console is not giving me option to reset my root password

So...I get this email from VMware saying my password is expiring soon and I should change it before it does.  I am easily able to change the admin password on the Web GUi, however when I go to the console and login as root it does tell me that my password expires in 6 days, but that's it....there are no further prompts to change the root password!

Do I have to wait for my current password to expire?  The email alert clearly states to NOT let the password expire:

Follow these steps to update the password:

1.   Log into Skyline Collector virtual machine console 

2.   Use current root user credentials

3.   Follow the prompts to update the password

To avoid interruption in the ability to log in, we highly recommend changing the password before it expires.

What's an admin to do???

Thanks,

Charlene

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kishorenelvagal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello Charlene,

Welcome to Skyline Communities !

Here are the steps to reset the password for the root account

• Login to Skyline appliance using VMRC or Web console on vCenter
  • Enter the current password for root account
  • Type command 'passwd'
  • Enter the new password

The following KB artcile also has information about resetting the password from the Grub Menu.

VMware Knowledge Base

Skyline root password is set to expire every 90 days. If you like to change the setting, please login to the Skyline UI using Admin credentials to change the setting to a value of your choice.

Sincerely
Kishore N
VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
fritschn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you Chizl10​ for the feedback. In addition to Kishore's response, we have opened an internal engineering ticket to update the Skyline Collector root password expiration email notification with the correct instructions.

Any further questions, comments, or feedback, please let us know. Thank you.

Nick Fritsch,
VMware Technical Marketing Manager
0 Kudos