VMware Support Community
UHViTeam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wrong NIC on Appliance

the appliance is other linux (64) with vmxnet3 NIC but when you try to vmotion you get an error

when i vmotion i get the following error Virtual ethernet card 'Network adapter 1' is not supported. "This is not a limitation of the host in general, but of the virtual machine's configured guest OS on the selected host."

i selected skyline on my support request and did not get someone from that team. I was disappointed

I was told t

This is not a limitation of the host in general, but of the virtual machine's configured guest operating system on the selected host. Check the Guest OS Compatibility Guide to know which network adapter is supported for the guest operating system. Resolution To resolve the issue, shutdown the virtual machine and change the network adapter type to one of the supported adapters mentioned in the Compatibility Guide. To change the network adapter type, remove and re-add the Network adapter: Right-click on the virtual machine and click Edit Settings. Under Hardware, select Network Adapter 1 > Remove > Ok. Right-click on the virtual machine and click Edit Settings. Click Add > Select Ethernet Adapter > Next. Choose the right adapter type, then click Next > Finish.

so i changed i to  E1000.  If this is true why build an appliance with the wrong NIC ?

David Frankfort, Houston VMUG leader.

davidf@uh.edu

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Aditya2018
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello David,

Thank you for contacting the Skyline Community.

The issue is inherent to all Linux VMs, irrespective of if it is a VMware Appliance or a Linux Guest OS VM.

Skyline Appliance is customized as per the Host ESXi during deployment, It will select the latest recommended adapter type based on hardware version and ESXi host version.

I was able to trace your SR, I checked your collector status from VMware end, I could see the heartbeat and payload from your collector, the next analysis is set for 3/3/2019, you should be able to see updated recommendations by then.

Sincerely, Aditya Gottumukkala Skyline Skyline Moderator VMware Inc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Aditya2018
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello David,

Thank you for contacting the Skyline Community.

The issue is inherent to all Linux VMs, irrespective of if it is a VMware Appliance or a Linux Guest OS VM.

Skyline Appliance is customized as per the Host ESXi during deployment, It will select the latest recommended adapter type based on hardware version and ESXi host version.

I was able to trace your SR, I checked your collector status from VMware end, I could see the heartbeat and payload from your collector, the next analysis is set for 3/3/2019, you should be able to see updated recommendations by then.

Sincerely, Aditya Gottumukkala Skyline Skyline Moderator VMware Inc
0 Kudos