VMware Support Community
virtualhelp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmware Skyline Deployment - Configuration

Hello,

I have some doubts that I would like to clarify, regarding the deployment of Vmware Skyline.

During OVa deployment and network parameter configuration, the domain name and domain search path fields should be left blank ?. Or can I add the corresponding domain of the company, as when any ova is displayed?

virtualhelp_0-1626120755145.png

Enabling the proxy during the configuration process, is it mandatory ?, or is it optional ?.

Reviewing the implementation guide and watching some videos I saw that they enable the proxy, but I want to know if it is mandatory or optional.

To add vRealize Operation Manager, can I do it with the vROP admin user ?. Or is vROP required to be integrated with Active Directory and I must enter a domain user to integrate it with Vmware Skyline ?.

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi, I've probably been watching the same videos (which are really good by the way!) 

I don't think the domain fields are mandatory - I suspect it merely tells the Photon Appliance what the default DNS search path is - but so long as the appliance can query DNS and resolve to the name of the vcenter etc, and the external URLs needed by the service (one for updating the appliance, and the other for log assist) you should be good to go...

As I understand it the proxy is only used if you have a proxy server that brokers access to the internet - these days most people have dispensed with these - and so long as the default gateway knows how to resolve external names it shouldn't be needed. Perhaps the folks doing the demo videos, have to traverse an internal proxy - and that's why they flag it...

I'm on the same learning curve as you - but I hope this helps 🙂

Best Wishes

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi, I've probably been watching the same videos (which are really good by the way!) 

I don't think the domain fields are mandatory - I suspect it merely tells the Photon Appliance what the default DNS search path is - but so long as the appliance can query DNS and resolve to the name of the vcenter etc, and the external URLs needed by the service (one for updating the appliance, and the other for log assist) you should be good to go...

As I understand it the proxy is only used if you have a proxy server that brokers access to the internet - these days most people have dispensed with these - and so long as the default gateway knows how to resolve external names it shouldn't be needed. Perhaps the folks doing the demo videos, have to traverse an internal proxy - and that's why they flag it...

I'm on the same learning curve as you - but I hope this helps 🙂

Best Wishes

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
virtualhelp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,