VMware Support Community
hariya
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual appliance freezes on virtual machines whose hardware versions have been upgraded

Hello,

I'm from NetApp's Active IQ unified manger team. We have a virtual appliance for our product which runs debian OS 10 on it. We are shipping our application inside this vApp.
We have done the first release of this vApp in 2012 and have done several releases after this. The first release was 6.x and the latest release is 9.x. We have been providing an update iso for the customers to upgrade this vApp.

Recently we have got many cases from customers complaining that vApp freezes after an upgrade to 9.8 or 9.9. We have done debian OS upgrade in release 9.8. However the interesting thing about this problem is :
1. The problem happens only the on VMs whose hardware version ( vm version) have been upgraded to 13 or later.
2. We have VMs which are at hardware level 7, and they do not face this problem.
3. Lowering the hardware version to less than 13 fixes the problem.

1. What can be the issue here ?
2. How should I go about debugging it ?
3. Since there are some clear evidences that it might have been because of hardware version upgrade. what vmware related logs should I look into?
4. What vmware related extra logs I can enable and how ?
5. Have you guys scene similar problem earlier, can you share some references ?

Thanks,
Harikesh

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
0 Replies