VMware Support Community
ptruitt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to update Skyline Appliance -- Failed to install updates (Update manifest not downloaded... )

Skyline Advisor is complaining that the Skyline appliance is running an old version of VMware Tools so I tried updating the appliance.  Here is the result:

ptruitt_0-1612905964342.png

What do I need to do to get the "Install Updates" button to not be grayed out?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
evfernandez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks for the update, @ptruitt !

Also, I want to inform you that there are a few changes in the new build. For one, the VAMI has been removed. Please read the release notes to know more.

You might be seeing this message as the VAMI is not reloading again. Could you please check on the Skyline collector virtual machine console?

Eddie Fernandez
Manager, Skyline Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
evfernandez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @ptruitt,

Welcome to the Skyline Community!

This error is usually seen when the Skyline Collector is unable to communicate with our server. Could you please verify that your Skyline Collector virtual appliance can access vapp-updates.vmware.com over port 443?

Once the connectivity is confirmed, please click 'Check Updates'. Please let us know if you're able to upgrade the Collector.

Eddie Fernandez
Manager, Skyline Support
0 Kudos
ptruitt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply!

It looks different this morning (after a scheduled automatic update):

ptruitt_0-1612984063029.png

The "Install Updates" button was no longer grayed out.  I clicked on it and the update is installing now.  It has been running for 10 to 20 minutes.  Based on the message, I was expecting the EULA to pop up and demand to be agreed to.  Instead I'm seeing:

ptruitt_1-1612984211905.png

I'll let it run for a couple of hours and if there's no change I'll reboot the appliance and try again.

0 Kudos
evfernandez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks for the update, @ptruitt !

Also, I want to inform you that there are a few changes in the new build. For one, the VAMI has been removed. Please read the release notes to know more.

You might be seeing this message as the VAMI is not reloading again. Could you please check on the Skyline collector virtual machine console?

Eddie Fernandez
Manager, Skyline Support
0 Kudos
ptruitt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I checked the console as you suggested and the upgrade to 2.7.0.0 was successful.

According to the Release Notes, the associated version of VMware Tools is 10.3.10, which agrees with what the tdnf command is telling me.

Skyline Advisor is complaining about version 10.3.10 (finding ID vSphere-Vmtoolsmemoryleak-KB#76163) and recommends upgrading to VMware Tools version 10.3.21.  That version does not seem to be available yet for Photon OS.

So ironically we've got Skyline Advisor complaining that a fully upgraded Skyline Collector is out of date.

0 Kudos
evfernandez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @ptruitt,

Thank you for raising this finding! I spoke to the concerned team just now and they're fixing this as we speak.

Eddie Fernandez
Manager, Skyline Support