VMware Support Community
gs100018
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Stood up Skyline and cannot connect to NSX

Hello,

We just stood up our skyline appliance.  We can connect to our vcenter ok, but not our NSX instance.  Details:

Unableto obtain successful collection to NSX  core.

NSX
Telemetry collection successful.

Condition exists when using admin account for NSX Manager and NSX Controllers  OR
using account created in accordance with KB2150736 as an Auditor.

Only
admin account has access to SSH to controllers and run show commands.

Unable
to login to collector via SSH as root – password authentication failed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gerald Schul

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HarishV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Edward,

Thank you for your patience.

From the error message it looks like this could be related to the NSX controller name.

Do you have a name configured for NSX controller already? If no, please try to configure a name for NSX controller and let us know the results.

Sincerely Harish Venkatachalam Skyline Support Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Yuva_1990
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Gerlad

It seems we have issues with privileges assigned to the user accounts we are using to connect to NSX manager and NSX controller. Please verify whether the following privileges are assigned to the user accounts

Skyline requires credentials with read privileges for both the NSX Manager and NSX Controllers.

For NSX Manager, Skyline Collector needs an account with the Auditor role or similar privileges with access to the API to query information.

For NSX Controllers, Skyline Collector needs an account with access to SSH and the ability run various ‘show’ commands.

Reference KB article

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2150736

Regards

Yuvaraj

VMware Support Moderator

0 Kudos
Yuva_1990
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Gerlad,

I understand that we were not able to login in to the collector appliance using SSH. To isolate the issue

Open the browser and login to the appliance using http://<IP_ADDRESS>/login to login to the Skyline collector

Try using the root user and password and check if that is allowing the login to VAMI page

Regards

Yuvaraj

VMware Support Moderator

0 Kudos
edwardgvmware
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

My customer is using the admin credentials to authenticate to both.  They have followed the KB to create an additional account with the required permissions as well and it isn't pulling the data for the "NSX" type data but the "NSX Telemetry" is successful.  Please advise if we need to open a ticket as the Skyline Team suggested I use this forum first.

0 Kudos
gs100018
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

We are using admin credentials, but no luck.

A ticket would be good I think.

Thanks,

Gerald

0 Kudos
Yuva_1990
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Edward

Thanks for sharing the output.I have shared that with our engineering team will keep you posted on the updates

Regards

Yuvaraj

VMware Support Moderator

0 Kudos
HarishV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Edward,

Thank you for your patience.

From the error message it looks like this could be related to the NSX controller name.

Do you have a name configured for NSX controller already? If no, please try to configure a name for NSX controller and let us know the results.

0 Kudos
HarishV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Gerald,

Hope you are doing well.

Just wanted to know if you were able to implement the action plan provided and if it helped you to fix the issue.

Regards,

Harish V

Skyline Support Moderator

0 Kudos
sri_vmware
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello Gerald,

Hope you are doing great. I wanted to understand if the steps provided earlier helped, else do let us know so that we can assist further. Awaiting to hear back from you.

Sincerely
Srikanth HS
Skyline Support Moderator
HarishV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Gerald,

Hope you are doing well.

Just wanted to check if the issue has been resolved.

We will mark this issue resolved in the next two days, you can reply to this post if any assistance is required.

0 Kudos