VMware Support Community
clnorth
Contributor
Contributor

Status code 421 Error after update Horizon 2306 Connection Server

Skyline said the collector was unhealthy after I upgraded Horizon on connection servers. when I re-add the product it says 'Unsupported product or faulty communication. Unexpected status code error: 421. Anyone seen this?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Nealtendo64
Contributor
Contributor

Got the same error after upgrading one of my connection servers from 2111 to 2306. Couldn't find any issues on the server and the only thing I could find after searching the error was your post. Ended up restoring both connection servers to a pre-upgrade snapshot. Any luck on your end?

0 Kudos
numiga
Contributor
Contributor

Here the same problem. Removed any LoadBalancer and Alias in the system und directly connect to one Connection Server.

Then it will work again, but VMware ticket opened because without LB it is not necessary to have two CS 😄

0 Kudos
Nealtendo64
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting...are you using citrix netscaler for your load balancer?  I have never had an issue with Horizon upgrades until 2306. Maybe a bug in the latest release?

0 Kudos
numiga
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, Netscaler ADC as free version.

Same here. Never a problem till 8.10.

But I had a Call yesterday with VMware and maybe we solved it: It is an old problem, new function, whatever. Now they activated this, or lets say they deactivated other ways.

This solved the problem: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/85801

DSulak
Contributor
Contributor

My clients were getting the error 421 when trying to connect to a connection server after upgrading from 2303 to 2306.  My connection servers use round robin DNS.  To correct the problem I renamed the locked.properties on each server and then in the admin console I enabled Host Redirection and added the main DNS name on each server.  After rebooting everything worked.

 

0 Kudos
Valeriy87
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Error 421 during an update of VMware Horizon Connection Server typically indicates that the server's resources are  unavailable, and the update process cannot proceed.

Check memory/disk spaces. Also try to disable antivirus/firewall on the server.

0 Kudos
Foxk
Contributor
Contributor

Add allowUnexpectedHost=true to the end of your locked.properties and reboot.

BogdanMilo
Contributor
Contributor

That fixed it. Thanks for the info!

0 Kudos
Jeremy9102
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Using allowUnexpectedHost=true will make your environment less secure.  Consider following this KB (https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/85801) instead.

0 Kudos
LeonM82
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me as well. Unfortunately, this (https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/85801) did not resolve my issues after upgrading. I added every portalHost possible to the locked.properties as we run 2 UAG's set in HA mode. 

0 Kudos
Jeremy9102
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Take a look at the Connection Server logs:

2021-09-24T22:05:34.737-07:00 ERROR (1B08-1A58) <SimpleDeamonThread> [h] (ajp:admin:Request190) Unexpected Origin: https://newname.net

The Unexpected Origin line will show you which portaHost entry is missing.

Also take a look at:

Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) with Horizon 8 and loadbalanced HTML5 access. (85801)

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/85801

Unified Access Gateway(UAG):HTML Access fails with "Failed to connect to the Connection Server" (2151877)

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2151877

 

0 Kudos
mtrento
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

 

Hi

i just struggled with this error for a few hours but wondering why isn't the documentation easier to address this issue?

the allowUnexpectedHost parametter did not work for me as everyone like to say.

my horizon architecture consist of   3 connection servers  and  a loadbalancer (fortinet)

What worked for me is editing the file

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\sslgateway\conf\locked.properties

On every connection server :

just add or create a new file  (in our config there wasn't this file)

portalHost.1 = YOUR_CONNECTIONSERVER HOSTNAME

portalHost.2 = YOUR_CONNECTIONSERVER  FQDN

portalHost.3 = YOUR_CONNECTIONSERVER IPADDRESS

portalHost.4 = YOUR_LOADBALANCER HOSTNAME

portalHost.5 = YOUR_LOADBALANCER FQDN

portalHost.6 = YOUR_LOADBALANCER IPADDRESS

 

Save & Restart Connexionserver service , wait until the other services are started and wait for tomcat process to stop  freezing the cpu.

Retry the connection

Enjoy!

 

 

 

0 Kudos