VMware Support Community
meynon
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Skyline wan bandwidth requirements for remote sites

I have a customer who wants to know what the wan network bandwidth requirements are for a Skyline appliance.

Scenario: If they have a Skyline appliance in each regional datacenter and need to monitor vCenters at remote manufacturing sites what are the wan network bandwidth minimal requirements to do so. This customer has ~40 vCenters in the regional datacenters and ~30 more at remote sites around the world.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HarishV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

That's very hard to say, it depends on the size of the inventory. Generally speaking the first collection from a vCenter is a relatively big one, for instance, it may be something at around 100MB for a VC with a few thousand VM-s, but after that only changes to that inventory are collected every 2 minutes and those tend to be pretty small, probably a few KBs.

Sincerely Harish Venkatachalam Skyline Support Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I don't believe this information is published however from a Skyline talk at a recent vMUG I was informed that it was "very little" - It's sending encrypted configuration and usage data to VMware in the US but no logging at this time so it won't be a large amount of bandwidth required.

I would install and inspect the bandwidth for 1 vCenter Server and multiply out from there

More information: VMware Knowledge Base

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk
0 Kudos
HarishV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

That's very hard to say, it depends on the size of the inventory. Generally speaking the first collection from a vCenter is a relatively big one, for instance, it may be something at around 100MB for a VC with a few thousand VM-s, but after that only changes to that inventory are collected every 2 minutes and those tend to be pretty small, probably a few KBs.

Sincerely Harish Venkatachalam Skyline Support Moderator
0 Kudos