VMware Support Community
virtualgirl
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Skyline Collector Version 2.2 not showing in Updates

TAM Notes: When customer tries to manually upgrade the Skyline Collector to version 2.2, he only sees version 2.1 available in the updates according to the instructions here: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Skyline-Collector/2.1.0/user-guide/GUID-C1B114EC-5331-41AC-AAA3-51...

Customer has Production level Support agreement. Customer is running Appliance Version 2.1.0.0 Build 12868053. Need to know when version 2.2 will be available or how customer can upgrade to version 2.2 without having to re-deploy a new Collector appliance. Thank you.

7 Replies
sri_vmware
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Virtualgirl,

Welcome to Skyline communties !

Skyline has 2 different components Skyline collector and Skyline Advisor .

Skyline collector is the virtual appliance which collect data from user environment and the latest version is 2.1

Skyline Advisor is a self-service, web application available to users who have adopted proactive support with VMware Skyline and the latest version is 2.2

Since the latest version of skyline collector is 2.1 , we would have to wait for the next release for upgrade.

Sincerely
Srikanth HS
Skyline Support Moderator
virtualgirl
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you for the clarification. This discussion can now be closed.

0 Kudos
sri_vmware
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Virtualgirl,

Thank you for your confirmation.  You could also mark as 'Correct Answer' in communities when the issue or question has been resolved from your end so that the discussion can be closed.

Sincerely
Srikanth HS
0 Kudos
jpetti
Contributor
Contributor

I too was a little confused about the updates and thought it referred to the collector.  After reading this article looked around on the skyline site and other than the notification banner could not find where it shows the advisor version. Is there somewhere where it displays the version? 

sri_vmware
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Jpetti,

Welcome to communities!!!

At the moment the skyline advisor version is not listed out explicitly. We will consider this feedback for further release.

Sincerely
Srikanth HS
mwolfe412
Contributor
Contributor

I agree that this is confusing.  I just logged in to Skyline, saw the "We are excited to announce new capabilities as part of the Skyline 2.2 Advisor release" banner, and spent 10-15 minutes trying to figure out why I couldn't download or update to Skyline 2.2.

It didn't help that the linked release notes​​ don't mention any version numbers anywhere, so I wasn't even sure if I was being linked to the correct document.

Maybe it would be good to include in the release notes something along the lines of "Skyline Advisor 2.2 works with your existing Skyline Collector 2.1, 2.0, etc.. installation" to make it more clear that Skyline Advisor and Skyline Collector are separate systems with their own independent versioning schedules.

Or maybe it would be better to keep Skyline Advisor version numbers for internal use only and just mention when updates/changes were made with dates to customers.

Just my 2 cents.

0 Kudos
sri_vmware
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi mwolfe412,

We have taken the feedback. The versions are removed in advisor now to avoid confusion.

Sincerely
Srikanth HS
0 Kudos