VMware Support Community
jbgorrie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Offline log upload

I realize that it is not in the core deliverables, but wonder if you have an offline system capability.

For example I have few systems that are not connected thus not able to currently use the collector.  Is there an ability to run a "dump" or similar on the host and then upload the "dump" to skyline and it then analyze.

I am working on the approvals and paperwork to get it connected to be able to upload to skyline, but not sure of that outcome/timeline.  Our main environment is connected - just a small side one.

I know Runecast was advising they did offline and on-prem DC but have not looked enough at the solution.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TriveniS
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello jbgorrie

Welcome to communities.

Skyline Advisor is a cloud based application which connects with the Skyline Collector to collect any logs. There is no manual option to upload the dump from a host and the logs from the host are collected using vCenter. As you would already be aware that Skyline Collector utilizes vCenter to communicate with ESXi host.

Runecast does have an off-line version which is installed on-prem and doesn't require external network, However with the help of runecast you would not be able to utilize the advanced feature which are provided by Skyline (Advanced Findings, Upgrade Assist, LogAssist, Few additional feature for Prem customers)

Do let us know if you want us to share any documents which would be helpful for you to clarify the question and receive approval.

Sincerely,

Triveni Shanwad

Skyline Support Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TriveniS
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello jbgorrie

Welcome to communities.

Skyline Advisor is a cloud based application which connects with the Skyline Collector to collect any logs. There is no manual option to upload the dump from a host and the logs from the host are collected using vCenter. As you would already be aware that Skyline Collector utilizes vCenter to communicate with ESXi host.

Runecast does have an off-line version which is installed on-prem and doesn't require external network, However with the help of runecast you would not be able to utilize the advanced feature which are provided by Skyline (Advanced Findings, Upgrade Assist, LogAssist, Few additional feature for Prem customers)

Do let us know if you want us to share any documents which would be helpful for you to clarify the question and receive approval.

Sincerely,

Triveni Shanwad

0 Kudos
jbgorrie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Triveni,

As I mentioned we already have approval and have been running skyline for our "normal" environment for ~2 years (were in the beta).

This isolated environment is one that has external requirements and the like on it that means it must be more isolated.

My question was if it was possible to extract the data and then "fake" import it into the collector.  I expect it was not designed this way, but I wanted to know.  I expect it would be possible since the collector is just executing API calls against the VC to get data, then sending it off.  I would not expect this to be supported, more just wondering.

I further realize all the functionality of the log-assist is not there - that is not expected nor required.

--

Jason

0 Kudos
TriveniS
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello jbgorrie

Thank you for the update,

The above request is not an option on Skyline collector, as the API calls are automatic and scheduled from the configured endpoint, we dont have an option to control or configure from where to upload the extracted data.
Depending on the endpoint added the API is triggered from the Skyline. If there is a NSX Added, Skyline would trigger API calls related to NSX only.

Sincerely,

Triveni Shanwad

0 Kudos