VMware Support Community
brandong08
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Getting this error when adding vcenter to Skyline Collector. Couldn't create collection task to test endpoint. -> java.lang.RuntimeException: Couldn't login the client. -> Couldn't login the client. -> General failure.

This vCenter does not have a PSC and never had a PSC.  All other vCenters connected without issue.

Couldn't create collection task to test endpoint. -> java.lang.RuntimeException: Couldn't login the client. -> Couldn't login the client. -> General failure. -> https://vcenter.com:7444/sso-adminserver/sdk invocation failed with "org.apache.http.conn.HttpHostConnectException: Connect to vcenter.com:7444 [vcenter.com/10.8.6.3] failed: Connection timed out (Connection timed out)" -> Connect to vcenter.com:7444 [vcenter.com/10.8.6.3] failed: Connection timed out (Connection timed out) -> Connection timed out (Connection timed out)

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Aditya2018
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello brandong08

The error implies an issue with connectivity between vCenter and Collector, the connection is timing out, which means an issue with connectivity.

Please login to the Collector Shell and check the connectivity, the following command would help:

# curl -v telnet://<vCenter FQDN>:443

Sincerely, Aditya Gottumukkala Skyline Skyline Moderator VMware Inc
0 Kudos
brandong08
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When I run the command it stays at connected to vcenter.  I can curl other sites just fine.  I know 443 is open.  What about the reference to port 7444?

0 Kudos
Aditya2018
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello brandong08

Port 7444 is used only for vCenter version 5.5, itis depreciated from version 6. The configuration should automatically redirect to 443.

If you are using Custom SSO configuration, remove the port from the URL, it should work.

0 Kudos
brandong08
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The target vCenter is 6.7 U3. So its really weird to be seeing the 7444 reference.  No custom SSO.  Standard @vsphere.local

0 Kudos
Aditya2018
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello brandong08

I will need to check the Collector logs and vCenter configuration to analyze the issue further, please share your contact details on the following form to setup a meeting:

Smartsheet Forms

0 Kudos
Aditya2018
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We were able to add the vCenter using Custom SSO Configuration.

0 Kudos