VMware Support Community
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Driver upgrade recommendation question

I recently received a recommendation to update QFLE3 drivers on 5 of our hosts. We have 9 with the network adapter related to this driver. I downloaded the updated driver, uploaded to vCenter, and created a baseline for it, however update manager says all hosts are compliant.

Is this a false positive recommendation? Especially since it's only reporting on 5 of 9 of our hosts that have the same NICs installed?

Finding ID
vSphere-PSODQFLE3-KB#79058

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bryanvaneeden
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Honestly, VUM can glitch out at times, but that's probably because the baseline isn't correct. If I were you, I would just check the hosts manually with "esxcli software vib list | grep -i qfle" and check if the versions match.

Visit my blog at https://vcloudvision.com!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
AjayChananaVMwa
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello Chris,

We would like to investigate more on this, please provide your collector/Site details below.

Smartsheet.com

Sincerely,
Ajay Chanana
Skyline Support Moderator
MCSE-2003/2008|RHCA|VCP-5/6/VCAP-6
0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm getting a form not found message when clicking your link.

0 Kudos
AjayChananaVMwa
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello Chris, 

We have corrected the link.

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/9e31b64730f2419ba2aa50f6c72e66a3

Sincerely,
Ajay Chanana
0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Information submitted

0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

FYI I was looking at Skyline today and now it only shows 4 hosts instead of 5. The only change on that one host was I ran ESXi patches over the weekend against that cluster. I have not yet patched the other cluster where these 4 hosts are. However there is a 5th host in that cluster that is identical to the other 4 so not sure why it is not showing up in the reported finding.

0 Kudos
bryanvaneeden
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Honestly, VUM can glitch out at times, but that's probably because the baseline isn't correct. If I were you, I would just check the hosts manually with "esxcli software vib list | grep -i qfle" and check if the versions match.

Visit my blog at https://vcloudvision.com!
AjayChananaVMwa
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello Chris,

Updating host might not update the drivers, Kindly check for the qfle driver version as shared by @bryanvaneeden.

Regards,

Ajay Chanana

Sincerely,
Ajay Chanana
0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just a quick update on this. Last weekend we completed updating our remaining hosts and also did an NSX upgrade. Not sure if any of that is related but now the QFLE3 driver recommendation is gone. I do still have a recommendation for a qedentv driver that we saw previously behaving the same manner. I will compare installed versions to verify if update manager is incorrectly stating it's updated or not.

0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm going to start a new post related to the qedentv driver issue. This one appears to have been resolved after host updates.

0 Kudos