VMware Support Community
mc1903cae
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you share an example of an OSR report?

Hi,

Is there an example/demo report that you can share?

Thanks

M

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fritschn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Martin mc1903cae

While the path to download the Operational Summary Report has VCSA within it, which we commonly use to reference a vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA), the path provided is not a vCenter Server Appliance. Confusing, yes, and we'll take this into consideration as we look for opportunities to make proactive support as easy to consume as possible for our customers. Furthermore, only registered customers receiving proactive support with Skyline, as part of the Production Support pilot program, will be able to log into the portal below.

To retrieve your Operational Summary Report, follow these steps:

1. Go to https://vcsa.vmware.com/skyline/osr-delivery/
  2. Login using the My VMware account you used to register the Skyline Collector with VMware.
  3. Download your Operational Summary Report

If you run into any problems retrieving your Operational Summary Report using the above process, please let us know.

Thank you for the feedback Martin. Let us know if we can be of any more help.

Nick Fritsch,
VMware Technical Marketing Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
HarishV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello mc1903cae,

Thank you for your post.

We would not be able to share an OSR as it would contain customer's sensitive information.

You can, however, go through this link below to get an idea how the OSR would look like.

VMware Skyline Operational Summary Report Overview - YouTube

Regards,

Harish V

Skyline Support Moderator

Sincerely Harish Venkatachalam Skyline Support Moderator
mc1903cae
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you HarishV

I wasn't expecting a live customer OSR, I assumed you might have this running in a lab somewhere and that you could pull a example report from that?

I am not 100% clear regarding entitlement to use Skyline? Is it available to customers who have Basic/Production Support or must they uplift to Premier Support (Mission Critical, Healthcare Critical or Business Critical) in order to qualify?

Also is Skyline using the same 'rules engine' are the vSphere HealthAnalyzer (vHA) Best Practices Review analysis?

Thanks

M

0 Kudos
HarishV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello mc1903cae,

There are some rules based around the health analyzer, but a much larger pool of rules based around KB articles for known issues, as well as VVD ( VMWare Validated Designs)

I can try to a get a sample report as a reference document from another customer as soon as possible. I can send a separate email to you.

The skyline FAQ ( How to get started ) will give you an idea to register and how to use skyline if you do not have Skyline now. It is available for all the customer now. So you have to register to get an invite if you have Production or Basic entitlement.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/support/vmware-skyline-faq.pdf

Do let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Harish V

Sincerely Harish Venkatachalam Skyline Support Moderator
0 Kudos
sri_vmware
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi M,

Thank you for your patience.

I have attached the OSR report for your reference. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely
Srikanth HS
mc1903cae
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Srikanth HS (@sri_vmware),

Thank you for the example OSR document.

I appreciate that it is a summary report; but I still would have expected it to at least detail the actual device that has issues. For example;

page 6 advises that "ESXi 6.5 host fails with purple diagnostic screen when collecting diagnostic information." - which host is it referring to?

page 17, where it advises on "Troubleshooting a datastore or VMFS volume that is full or near capacity" - but which datastore has an issue?

Thanks

Martin

0 Kudos
fritschn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Martin, mc1903cae, great question,

Along with the Operational Summary Report, additional documentation is provided that includes the information you're looking for. This would include the 2 ESXi hosts that are referenced within the ESXi65DiagnosticInfREQ520Rule FindingID (page 6 of the provided Sample Report). You can reference this FindingID within the additional documentation to find the following:

FindingTypeSeveritySourceObject IDObject NameObject TypeBUILDHOST_VERSION
ESXi65DiagnosticInfFindingCRITICALvcsa01.acmecorp.comhost-0001esxi100.acmecorp.comHostSystem51468466.5.0
ESXi65DiagnosticInfFindingCRITICALvcsa01.acmecorp.comhost-0002esxi105.acmecorp.comHostSystem51468466.5.0

From this, you can see that esxi100.acmecorp.com and esxi105.acmecorp.com are the 2 impacted objects associated with the associated Finding. You can follow the Recommendation provided within the Operational Summary Report and associated KB article to remediate these 2 ESXi hosts.

You would see a similar file for the DatastoreVMFSCapacityREQ611Rule FindingID. Upon further investigation, this FindingID identified a datastore that is 98% full. The datastore name is provided as well as Recommended steps to address a datastore that is nearing capacity.

What you're discovering is we have separated the detailed Findings from the Operational Summary Report. This provides you with the ability to choose which Findings you want to remediate and then locate the impacted objects within the associated documentation. If we included the associated objects within the Operational Summary Report, the report could become quite long and would be difficult to consume. For example, take the Finding on page 10 of the Sample Report, RHELDmiencodeIssueREQ340Rule which found 584 associated objects impacted by the Finding. The report would be difficult to consume if we included all 584 impacted objects within the context of the Operational Summary Report.

Think of the Operational Summary Report is exactly that, a summary of the Findings and Recommendations identified by Skyline. After choosing a Finding to take action on, you can use the associated documentation to explore the impacted objects and begin to take proactive remediation steps.

As we prepare to make your first Operational Summary Report available to you, we'll make sure we provide additional instruction for how to use all information that we are providing to you. If you have any other questions please let us know, we're here to help.

Nick Fritsch,
mc1903cae
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you fritschn​,

That makes a lot more sense now!

I did not see any mention of the additional documentation before.

Are you able to provide the example additional documentation that goes with the example OSR, so I can see what to expect in full?

Thanks

Martin

0 Kudos
fritschn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Martin,

I'm actually working on a discussion right now that details all the information you will receive once the Operational Summary Report is available for you to download. This way you're prepared once you receive notification that a new Operational Summary Report is available for you to download. I should have this discussion ready to post in the next few days, so keep a look out within the Skyline Community for that discussion. I'll also reply within this discussion once that discussion has been posted within the Community.

We very much appreciate the questions being asked and feedback being provided.

Nick Fritsch,
mc1903cae
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Nick fritschn

Much appreciated.

Martin

0 Kudos
fritschn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Martin, mc1903cae

As promised, I have created a discussion that provides additional detail regarding the Operational Summary Report (OSR) and associated documentation delivered alongside the OSR.

Operational Summary Report - Download and Details

I hope this discussion helps answer any outstanding questions that remain. If you have any additional questions please let us know.

If you do not have any additional questions, please consider marking this question Answered. Thank you.

Nick Fritsch,
0 Kudos
mc1903cae
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Nick fritschn

I have just tried the download link in the main post and it asks me to login to your VCSA with my MyVMware credentials - obviously that's not working!

Could you put the download on a open/public URL?

Cheers

Martin

0 Kudos
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello Martin,

Thank you for sharing the details,

In order to log in to this website, we would have to use a User ID which has been configured for Skyline.

This User ID would be the primary user who would have received the Invite with the permissions to install and configure Skyline.

Please provide the User Name / E-mail ID and Company Name, so that we could check internally if the account has the correct permission.

The link which you have tried has the live OSR reports, Only the registered User would be able to view their respective OSR Reports Generated.

If you are specifically looking for a Complete sample OSR Report, then we would have to check if it's available.

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
0 Kudos
mc1903cae
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi ashwin_prakash​ (also fritschn​)

I understood the whole point of Nick's other post was to allow anyone to see all of the OSR deliverables as an example. Which is exactly what I would like to do before signing up or recommending this new service to my clients.

The instructions even say "Use your My VMware account to login and download your Operational Summary Report."

If our My VMware accounts need to be registered to your VCSA in order to access this content, then what is the point in the entire post?

Effectively the post says "Here is our OSR example; but you cannot get it" - which is considerably less than helpful!

Can we have some joined up thinking please! Either you need to place the content on an open/public server (or here in VMTN) or provide a restricted Skyline My VMware account that can access it.

Cheers

Martin

0 Kudos
fritschn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Martin mc1903cae

While the path to download the Operational Summary Report has VCSA within it, which we commonly use to reference a vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA), the path provided is not a vCenter Server Appliance. Confusing, yes, and we'll take this into consideration as we look for opportunities to make proactive support as easy to consume as possible for our customers. Furthermore, only registered customers receiving proactive support with Skyline, as part of the Production Support pilot program, will be able to log into the portal below.

To retrieve your Operational Summary Report, follow these steps:

1. Go to https://vcsa.vmware.com/skyline/osr-delivery/
  2. Login using the My VMware account you used to register the Skyline Collector with VMware.
  3. Download your Operational Summary Report

If you run into any problems retrieving your Operational Summary Report using the above process, please let us know.

Thank you for the feedback Martin. Let us know if we can be of any more help.

Nick Fritsch,
0 Kudos
mc1903cae
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Nick fritschn

This whole thread was about getting a complete example of the entire OSR output that I could expect, before signing up!

I was hoping you would just provide the "additional documentation" (that you mentioned in your first response to me on 16-Apr-2018 13:41 in this thread) that goes with the example OSR .pdf that @sri_vmware provided in this thread on 09-Apr-2018 12:55.

We seem to be going round in circles; #veryfrustratednow

Thanks

Martin

0 Kudos
fritschn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thank you Martin mc1903cae​. Based upon our conversation, we'll address your questions and concerns tomorrow 1:1. I apologize again for the confusion and I'm looking forward to our conversation tomorrow.

Thank you.

Nick Fritsch,
0 Kudos
fritschn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Martin mc1903cae

Thank you for your time yesterday. I hope I was able to clear up any confusion that remained concerning what is delivered to customers as part of the proactive supporting offering with Skyline. If you have any additional questions please let us know. Thank you.

Nick Fritsch,
0 Kudos