VMware Support Community
RWijbrandus
Contributor
Contributor

Can't connect VROps to Skyline

I've been trying to connect my vROps to Skyline.  I'm running vROps 8.1, and Skyline 2.5. 

The error I am receiving is that a certificate is expired.  However, the message doesn't tell me what certificate.  The certificates for Skyline and vROps are self-signed and the earliest that either expires is 2023.  I have confirmed that I am using the correct admin password for vROps (I also tried the admin password for Skyline).

I have tried using both the IP and the FQDN, but neither seems to work (same message).

Am I required to use actual certificates on these servers now?  They are only accessible from within my data center, so I don't really want to spend the money on that.

Any suggestions?

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RWijbrandus
Contributor
Contributor

Adding on a bit more.

Using this command from the Skyline CLI - "curl -v https://vropsfqdn:443" - I am given a message that curl failed to verify the legitimacy of the server, and therefore could not connect.  This leads me back to needing to put a cert on the vROps server.  Seems odd, since I didn't need a cert to connect Skyline to my vCenter, but I will try this with my company wildcard.

0 Kudos
Aditya2018
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello RWijbrandus,

You will need to use the same FQDN/IP address as the subject name or subject alternate name of the SSL cert.

For example, we should use the same address the cert is issued to address the endpoint. A difference would fail validation.

The 'Certificate has expired' error implies one of the services may be using an expired certificate. 

Sincerely, Aditya Gottumukkala Skyline Skyline Moderator VMware Inc
0 Kudos
RWijbrandus
Contributor
Contributor

I thought the same at first.  I checked my certificates, though.  Unless I need to check somewhere else, they are all current.

Skyline vApp expires 2023.

vROps expires 2025.

vCenter vApp expires 2026.

Sure, these are self-signed, but I haven't seen anywhere that requires me to put SSL certs on.

0 Kudos
Aditya2018
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello RWijbrandus

We will need to look into the logs to investigate further. Please share your account and contact details on the following form:

Smartsheet Forms

Sincerely, Aditya Gottumukkala Skyline Skyline Moderator VMware Inc
0 Kudos