VMware Support Community
cmanania
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are you finding OSR information useful?

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone is even finding this information in the OSR useful. To me it is just telling me I need to patch to avoid certain issues, of which I already know. I was hoping that this would dive into configuration issues and optimization suggestions, etc.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jameswalkervmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thank you for your feedback. As we develop Skyline your feedback is critical for product development. I want to first start with we now have findings and framework for VSAN in Skyline. Also, we have just released findings for the L1 Terminal Fault Vulnerabilities. With VSAN findings and these vulnerabilities it is important to keep your VMware products and 3rd party drivers patched to the most recent versions. The largest share of issues coming into support could have been remediated/eliminated before happening if the customer had just patched first. Just because it’s simple doesn’t mean it is not effective.

There are more complex and in-depth rules available in VMware Skyline. These findings are available to customers with Premier level support contracts. These findings require troubleshooting (ie: storage connectivity issues), require workarounds and complex fixes, and best practices findings

James Walker VMware Support Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
seaboard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Agreed - listing of missing patches really isn't a valueadd for having Skyline collect statistics/data for several weeks....

0 Kudos
jbgorrie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was talking to fritschn​ at the local VM usercon about that.  I mentioned that competitor products  are my baseline for useful cloud analytics of on-prem data.  They mentioned that it is an evolving process, but should be better as additional rules get added.  I think part of it is the perception of a false positive - if you add a new rule and generate more support traffic is that better?

But yes advising me that I have data stores that are >90% and that I have not patched everything for specter/meltdown/Intel issues are not helpful and if VMware stopped there I would be disappointed.

0 Kudos
cmanania
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The vCenter I have skyline pointed to is a bit of a problem child with too many RDMs and an extremely high number of storage paths. The workload performance seems find, but we get a lot of host disconnects. I was hoping that skyline would confirm my suspicions and or provide additional information on the way the hosts are mapped to storage, or indicate the number of rescans that are impacting hostd, etc.

0 Kudos
jameswalkervmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thank you for your feedback. As we develop Skyline your feedback is critical for product development. I want to first start with we now have findings and framework for VSAN in Skyline. Also, we have just released findings for the L1 Terminal Fault Vulnerabilities. With VSAN findings and these vulnerabilities it is important to keep your VMware products and 3rd party drivers patched to the most recent versions. The largest share of issues coming into support could have been remediated/eliminated before happening if the customer had just patched first. Just because it’s simple doesn’t mean it is not effective.

There are more complex and in-depth rules available in VMware Skyline. These findings are available to customers with Premier level support contracts. These findings require troubleshooting (ie: storage connectivity issues), require workarounds and complex fixes, and best practices findings

James Walker VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos