VMware Cloud Community
deepakmits
Contributor
Contributor

vsphere rep appliane is not connecting to vcenter getting error .

I have configured SRM 5.1 with Vcenter 5.1. After this I have deployed vsphere replication appliance also but while configuring this appliance I have selected configuration mode as "Configuration using embedded database". On this configuration page I am not seeing anywhere to put vcenter credentials. I have put vcenter server address , port and admin mail id. And after this when I am clicking on save and restart service. I am getting error "vCenter Server connection failed: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password." I am not sure from where it is picking vcenter username and password and where can I specify this information ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VR 5.1 appliance requires to be deployed via connection to the VC in order to obtain the vCerver bindings. I suppose you are deploing it via connection to the host, correct?

Martin Marinov VMware Software Engineer If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
deepakmits
Contributor
Contributor

Can you pls. specify at what step we need to specify this binding as I have followed the evaluation guide to configure this and didnt find any place to specify it.

0 Kudos
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please see step 10 at http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic/com.vmware.vsphere.replication_admin.doc/GUID-E654F2D8-7D56-...

Perhaps, you might be trying to use a vSphere Replication appliance with a foreign vCenter Server, not the one through which the appliance was deployed?

The vSphere Replication appliance uses the vCenter Extension vService to register as an extension to the vCenter Server at which inventory the appliance was deployed. Appliance deployed in one vCenter Server inventory can not manage replications for another vCenter Server.

The vCenter Server address in the UI is supported only for making certificate validation happy in strict mode, when the certificate is not issued to (or does not have in Subject alternative names) the value set in VirtualCenter.FQDN runtime setting.

mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi I was curious did you manage to figure this out?

Martin Marinov VMware Software Engineer If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
deepakmits
Contributor
Contributor

Martin, by default on extension service binding it was pikcing hostname of vcenter server but not the IP addres . And this hostname was not getting resolved. I corrected this and added hostname in DNS entry and now it is working fine. Thanks for you prompt reply.

0 Kudos
mccannjake
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is an old thread but this solved it for me. For me it was an incorrect VirtualCenter.FQDN value.

vSphere Replication – VRA vCenter Server connection failed: Cannot complete login due to a...

0 Kudos