VMware Cloud Community
steven_man
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere replication in SRM 5.1

I know that vsphere replicaion support reprotect and failback in SRM 5.1.

In our environment, I am using vcenter 5 u1 to manage several esxi 5.0 u1 hosts.

I am planning to deploy SRM. Thinking which version of SRM to install. (SRM 5.0 or SRM 5.1)

If I choose to deploy SRM 5.1, I need to upgrade vCenter 5.1 before installation of SRM 5.1. vCenter 5.1 can support ESXi 5.1 and ESXi 5.0 hosts.

I want to know if I need to use vsphere replication feature in SRM 5.1, do I need to upgrade ESXi 5.0 to ESXi 5.1? Keep to use ESXi 5.0?

Any document mention?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

To make it clear. You have three options.

With SRM:

1. 2 vCenter servers and 2 SRM servers. All at version 5.1.

Without SRM (no test and no reprotect):

2. 2 vCenter servers 5.1.

3. 1 vCenter server 5.1 (so called single instance)

So, if you want test and automatic failback your choice is option #1.

Michael.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can use vSphere Replication 5.1 with ESXi 5.0 or 5.1 at the source site and with ESXi 5.0 or 5.1 at the target site.

If there are more than one vCenter Servers (not ROBO case), both vCenter Servers and vSphere Replication appliances need to be 5.1.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
steven_man
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I do not understand the sentence.

"If there are more than one vCenter Servers (not ROBO case), both vCenter Servers and vSphere Replication appliances need to be 5.1."

0 Kudos
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

vSphere Replication 5.1 supports replication between hosts managed by a single vCenter Server (so called remote office branch office), in addition to replication between hosts in different vCenter Server inventories (like the SRM case).

Currently (5.0 and 5.1) the version of SRM, vCenter Server and vSphere Replication must match for replication to work.

If one site is running with vCenter Server 5.1, it can not be paired with other SRM/VR site running with vCenter Server 5.0.

0 Kudos
steven_man
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As I know,the minimun software requirement of implementment of SRM 5 between site 1 and site. 2as below:

One vcenter 5,one SRM 5 in site 1

One vcenter 5, one SRM 5 in site 2

In SRM 5.1, is it new feature to support vsphere replication between hosts managed by a singe vcenter?

As you understand, do you mean that it is necessary to install same version of  vCenter and SRM (e.g. 5.1) in both sites?

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

To make it clear. You have three options.

With SRM:

1. 2 vCenter servers and 2 SRM servers. All at version 5.1.

Without SRM (no test and no reprotect):

2. 2 vCenter servers 5.1.

3. 1 vCenter server 5.1 (so called single instance)

So, if you want test and automatic failback your choice is option #1.

Michael.

0 Kudos
steven_man
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Machael,

I understand. Thanks!

0 Kudos