VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vSphere Replication vs SRM

What are the basic factors that would lead me to choose vsphere replication or SRM in a customers environment?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are you asking for a comparison of array-based replication with SRM vs. vSphere Replication and SRM (SRM can use both) or are you asking about the differences between vSphere Replication standalone vs.SRM (with either VR or ABR)?

If it's the first I'd recommend this post: SRM - Array Based Replication vs. vSphere Replication - VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

If it's the second, VR does not include all the orchestration, testing, reporting and enterprise-class DR functions of SRM, but allows for individual VM protection and recovery within or across clusters.  VR works for recovering one to a few (less than 5-10) VMs as the recovery process must be completed for each VM individually. As mentioned VR standalone is lacking the orchestration, automation, non-disruptive testing and reporting capabilities of SRM. VR is included in vSphere Essentials Plus licensing and higher, SRM is a per VM or per CPU (as part of vCloud Suite Enterprise) license.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The biggest things to consider, as with any DR/BC design is Recovery Time and Recovery Point Objectives. With SRM specifically, if you have a homogeneous storage environment that allows the use of SRAs instead of vSphere Replication. You're going to want to fine tune the VMs so that you have your page files on a separate VMDK that won't be replicated. Bandwidth between the first and second sites is also a major consideration that impacts your RPO.

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are you asking for a comparison of array-based replication with SRM vs. vSphere Replication and SRM (SRM can use both) or are you asking about the differences between vSphere Replication standalone vs.SRM (with either VR or ABR)?

If it's the first I'd recommend this post: SRM - Array Based Replication vs. vSphere Replication - VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

If it's the second, VR does not include all the orchestration, testing, reporting and enterprise-class DR functions of SRM, but allows for individual VM protection and recovery within or across clusters.  VR works for recovering one to a few (less than 5-10) VMs as the recovery process must be completed for each VM individually. As mentioned VR standalone is lacking the orchestration, automation, non-disruptive testing and reporting capabilities of SRM. VR is included in vSphere Essentials Plus licensing and higher, SRM is a per VM or per CPU (as part of vCloud Suite Enterprise) license.

TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK - I think this article answers it - thanks again to both of you!

0 Kudos