VMware Cloud Community
banky157
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Replication is very slow

can anyone explain why vSphere Replication is slow when replicationg a windows vm? I tried replicating a 40Gb windows vm and it took all day.  Has anyone experienced this kind of thing? What could be responsible for this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jfrappier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you provide any information about the environment?  Where are the data centers?  What type of storage?  What type of links between the data centers? 

0 Kudos
banky157
Contributor
Contributor

It's a Proof of Concept.  I used two hosts (esxi 5.0), 1GB network with just a switch connected to both esxi hosts, the two esxi hosts were side by side.  However, because low availability of resources the vcenters vm were just 1GB memories and 1 vcpu for both sites, SRM vm was also 1GB memories and 1 vcpu for both sites, the VRMS and VRS vms were default configurations.  However, when I replicated a redhat vm it took about 20mins to replicate an 80GB virtual disk but when trying to replicate windows 2008 server vm it took all day yesterday and replication did not even complete.  I started the vss service nothing really changed.

0 Kudos
jfrappier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Since its a POC are the VM's you are testing with also just test VM's (i.e. no real usage/changes in the system)?

0 Kudos
banky157
Contributor
Contributor

The esxi hosts are DL380 G5 servers with direct attached storage.

0 Kudos
banky157
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, they are just test vms no applications installed just windows 2008 server R2

0 Kudos