VMware Cloud Community
DouglasGHanley
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Replication Traffic - Routing

Hi,

I am looking at the many WAN acceleration appliance options out there for use with my vSphere 5.0 SRM host based replication.  What is not clear to me is how these solutions typically integrate with HBR?  Is this an SRM HBR configuration option, or do I need to do the integration at the network routing level?  Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Douglas.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Today, none of these would integrate with HBR or SRM directly - you'd need to do it at the routing level.

Given that HBR only replicates deltas to begin with, I honestly doubt that a riverbed or silverpeak device would help much.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
AnthBro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is one already and its from riverbed, I think they are an amazing company with great products

http://www.riverbed.com/us/company/news/press_releases/2011/press_083011

Not sure of what else is available

Thanks

Anthony

Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company he works for.
0 Kudos
keiooz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have also seen this in Riverbed. Now I know that it is possible.

0 Kudos
DouglasGHanley
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Mcowger,

I thought that was going to be the case, as far as integration was concerned.  I think some depulication and compression in the appliance will be of use in terms of optimising HBRs use of WAN bandwidth.  For example the dedup will potentially act over the deltas across many VMs giving some performance improvements.

Cheers,

Douglas.

0 Kudos