VMware Cloud Community
VladimirR
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Replication 5.1.0.1 unable to recovery unavailable VM

Hi,

I have only one vCenter with vSphere Replication 5.1.0.1.

If source VM is unavalibale (disconected host and datastore) I perform recovery of target VM, but task is failed. Recovery is successfully only, if source VM is available.

How can I recover target VM, if source VM is unavailable?

Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

HI VladimirR,

When you run the recovery wizard you must see two options for recovery:

- Recover with recente changes

- Reciver with latest available data

If you choose the first one the recovery will fail as you described. If you select the second option then the recovery task must not fail.

If you still have the issue, could you provide the message provided in the recovery task failure.

Regards

Martin Marinov VMware Software Engineer If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
VladimirR
Contributor
Contributor

Tkanhs for reply.

Yes, I perform: - Recover with latest available data

Here is error message:

From vSphere Client:

VRM Server generic error. Please check the documentation for any troubleshooting information. The detailed exception is: 'Download failed'.

From vSphere WEB Client:

Processing recovered virtual machine 'VRA-7-PC' configuration file failed.

0 Kudos
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi VladimirR,

VRM server was not able to access the target datastore and prepare the .vmx file for the recovered VM.

This is issue at the secondary site only.

Please make sure that you have Datastore.Browse datastore and Datastore.Low level file operations privileges on the target datastore for the vCenter Server user performing the recovery (roles are described at http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic/com.vmware.vsphere.replication_admin.doc/GUID-A73BC0B8-CA53-...).

Details on why the .vmx processing failed are available in the VRM server logs. You can login via SSH into the VR appliance at the secondary site and grep the log files at /opt/vmware/hms/logs/ for 'Download failed' and see error details in the lines around.

Another option is to generate and download a support bundle and look at the log files at it from another machine (see http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic/com.vmware.vsphere.replication_admin.doc/GUID-98AFCDF0-7FBB-...).

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
HUANGHONGIT66
Contributor
Contributor

Solve this problem, I have encountered this problem

0 Kudos
HUANGHONGIT66
Contributor
Contributor

I also encountered the same problem
How to solve?

0 Kudos
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry if it is too stupid question, but have you verified the permissions mvalkanov pointed out in his previous post?

Martin Marinov VMware Software Engineer If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
Abbren
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue. I'm logging on as root to the secondary web vCenter. Root user has Administrator rights which has the permissions to the target datastore.

When I attempt to recover a replicated guest it gets to 40% then stops with with the following errors

VRM Server generic error. Please check the documentation for any troubleshooting information. The detailed exception is: 'Download failed'.

&

Processing recovered virtual machine 'servername' configuration file failed

The same errors are listed in the  VRM Server log file.

Note - Recovery was successful the first time I tried. I've tried 10x since and was able to recovery successfully one other guest in my testing

Any ideas?

thanks

0 Kudos
jhardwood
Contributor
Contributor

Did anyone ever resolve this issue?  My first vSphere Replication recovery worked great.  On the my next recovery, though, I get this error.

Jeff

0 Kudos
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is there any differences between the source and destination in case when everything is OK and when it fails?

Doesn't the permission description from mvalkanov solve the problem?

0 Kudos
jhardwood
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the source and destination are on a different LUN (same SAN, different LUN).  I have checked permissions from mvalkanov posting, but they seem identical to those on the other "successful" recovery.

0 Kudos